Chapter13 United trade union

After enjoying a hearty meal with Shadow Burial at a tavern, Kui Ge rented a room for the night. They didn't carry much luggage; Shadow Burial's previous scraps had already been discarded, leaving only a rusted dagger. Kui Ge's true intention for the room, however, was to cultivate sunflowers.

By the window, Kui Ge silently chanted, "Summon four sunflowers!" A golden light split into four glowing orbs, rapidly sprouting on the wooden floor until they became sunflowers over a meter tall. Kui Ge collected four "gelatin orbs" into his bamboo tube. Over the past few days, these orbs had sustained him, filling his stomach, and their ability to remain fresh made them ideal for storage—the more, the better.

"Enjoy the sunlight. Next fusion, see you in four hours." During the day, the sunflowers required only four hours to mature, but at night, they took eight. According to Kui Ge's research, his super plants grew stronger under the sun, while zombies weakened. At night, however, the opposite occurred—the zombies' strength increased by about ten percent, while the power of the plants waned.

"Let's take a stroll." After finishing his tasks, Kui Ge suggested.

With the young one in tow, they wandered the streets of Ika Town like wild men who had just entered civilization from the mountains. Kui Ge curiously observed everything around him. "Hey, what's that store?" he asked, pointing at an elegantly decorated building.

"That's a brothel," Shadow Burial answered, looking at Kui Ge as if he were an idiot for asking such obvious questions.

"A brothel? Oh, I get it—it's a pleasure house. Haha, maybe I'll check it out someday," Kui Ge laughed, unconcerned.

"Is that a clothing store? Let's buy some new clothes," Kui Ge said as they entered a shop.

Half an hour later, the two of them emerged transformed. No longer looking like country bumpkins, they now resembled proper townsfolk. Although their clothes weren't luxurious, they were certainly an improvement over the simple fabric garments they had worn. Kui Ge spent a few silver coins, buying three or four sets of clothes each for himself and Shadow Burial. He wore a new outfit immediately, carrying the rest by hand—flaunting a spatial ring in such a place would be inappropriate.

"Hey! What does the United Guild do?" Kui Ge asked, gazing at the bustling building where nearly everyone carried weapons, looking quite formidable.

"The United Guild is a vast organization formed by the major guilds across the continent. It includes the Mercenaries' Guild, the Magicians' Guild, the Assassins' Guild, the Merchants' Guild, the Alchemists' Guild, and many smaller guilds. It provides services and conveniences for all kinds of people," Shadow Burial explained, educating the ignorant Kui Ge.

"Oh? So, they post bounty missions, and people can accept or post their own tasks? Can they also appraise professional levels and buy and sell items?" Kui Ge, recalling the mercenary guilds in novels, suddenly grew excited. He had once dreamed of becoming a heroic mercenary.

"Exactly," Shadow Burial replied, arms crossed, sounding like an impatient adult.

"Let's go in and have a look. By the way, do they also have a Thieves' Guild here?" Kui Ge suddenly thought of the Fierce Wolf Thieves group.

"Are you stupid? Thieves are robbers and bandits! These people commit crimes every day. Do you think they'd register in a place like this and stroll around openly on the streets?" Shadow Burial snapped, pointing at Kui Ge in exasperation.

Kui Ge swatted the boy's hand aside, grabbing him by the collar and dragging him into the guild. "You need to show more respect, kid. With that attitude, how are you supposed to become the humble death's envoy of the Tristan King's lineage? I even bought you clothes, you ungrateful little cub."

Ignoring Shadow Burial's struggles, Kui Ge used his warrior strength to haul him into the United Guild.

Inside, around thirty people milled about, with many smaller rooms likely reserved for members of specialized guilds. Most of the people in the main hall were mercenaries, chatting amongst themselves while keeping an eye on the mission board. "That mission to explore the ancient castle has been accepted by three different mercenary groups, but they all lost people and came back empty-handed. Rumor has it that a noble left a vast fortune hidden inside," one man whispered to another.

"They're full of it. I have a friend in the Iron Chain Mercenary group. They were one of the teams that took on the castle mission. It's said to be incredibly dangerous—even martial artists might not make it out alive. They barely explored the outskirts before retreating," said a burly man, his low voice still clear enough for those nearby to overhear.

"Brother, if we can get our hands on the treasure in that castle, we could afford the knight's set from Tamar City. Even if there's no treasure, the town mayor's reward for the mission is five gold coins!" The sweet voice of a young woman reached Kui Ge's ears. He turned to see a girl in her twenties wearing a white martial arts uniform with red trim. Her hair was tied into twin ponytails, and she wore red leather boots. A three-section staff was strapped to her waist. She was well-developed, and the nearby mercenaries couldn't help but steal glances at her—female mercenaries were rare, especially such a young and beautiful one.

Beside her stood a strong, handsome man clad in brown leather armor, a longsword at his waist. His energy fluctuations were not weak. "That mission has already been attempted by several groups without success. If we had a magician, we might stand a chance. But with just the few of us, I'm afraid it's beyond our reach," the man addressed as "brother" shook his head. Finding a capable magician in Ika Town wasn't easy. Aside from the earth magician in the army, there weren't any higher-level magicians in town. The few magician apprentices and scholars already belonged to their own organizations, and it would be impossible to recruit them.

"Let's go talk to that beauty," Kui Ge, a perfect-level magician apprentice, overheard their conversation and smiled. He led Shadow Burial toward them.

Shadow Burial, finally taking the chance to break free of Kui Ge's grip, muttered, "Allow me to introduce myself—Kui Ge, magician," Kui Ge said with a smile, extending his hand.

The man and the girl exchanged glances. The man took Kui Ge's hand, "My name is Taric, and this is my sister."

Before Taric could continue, the Jasmine like girl introduced herself. "I'm Aurelia."

"Not Jasmine," Kui Ge murmured, momentarily distracted.

"What?" Aurelia asked, puzzled.

"Oh, nothing. I just overheard you two discussing the castle mission. You mentioned you're in need of a magician. I'm passing through Ika Town, so I thought we might have an opportunity to collaborate?" Kui Ge got straight to the point, though Shadow Burial suspected that impressing the pretty girl was Kui Ge's primary goal, with the mission coming second.

"We're from the Hard Sword Mercenary Group, just passing through as well. May I ask what your professions are?" Taric inquired.

Shadow Burial muttered under his breath, "What a ridiculous name, just as stupid as this narcissist." Aurelia glared at him, her cheeks puffed in anger at the little brat who dared mock their mercenary group's name. She was already thinking of ways to teach him a lesson.

"I'm a plant-based magician, a perfect-level apprentice," Kui Ge proudly declared. Then he nudged Shadow Burial to introduce himself.

As always, the kid didn't disappoint. "I am the great descendant of the Tristan King, Shadow Burial the Assassin! Yes, a very powerful assassin!"

【Yo, Kui Ge and Shadow Burial hit up a tavern, ate good, then rolled through Ika Town like they were fresh off the block. Kui Ge planted some sunflowers in their room, collecting jelly fruits to stay fed. After grabbing fresh clothes, they checked out the United Guild where mercs and magic types hang. Kui Ge heard about a dangerous castle mission and slid up to a fine girl, Aurelia, and her brother Taric, offering his magic skills to join their squad. Shadow Burial, always talkin' big, introduced himself as a top assassin.】