Chapter 2 Rescue the Princess

"Hurry, this way! Those damned elves are right behind us. Run faster unless you want an arrow in your back!" After walking eastward for about an hour, Kui Ge suddenly heard a commotion up ahead-it sounded like a crowd! Having been wandering these wild mountains for hours, he was finally encountering other people. But before Kui Ge could celebrate, he quickly hid behind a large tree. These people were armed with swords and guns, dressed in leather armor and boots. Their skin was similar to that of Easterners, but their physique was distinctly Western. Although the language they spoke was neither English nor Chinese, Kui Ge somehow understood them perfectly.

Before Kui Ge could further assess the situation, the sharp "whoosh" of arrows filled the air, green streaks like deadly signals flew toward the group of more than twenty men. "Thwang!" An arrow shot past Kui Ge's nose, missing him by less than two centimeters, embedding itself in the tree trunk with a vibrating hum. Sweat instantly dripped down his temples-this place was insanely dangerous!

"Ah! Captain, I've been hit! Save me!" "No! Damn those elves!" Within moments, five or six men were struck by arrows, rolling on the ground and crying out in agony. Meanwhile, the ones in front, oblivious to the cries for help, were running at full speed, carrying several large black sacks.

Just as Kui Ge was reeling from the shock, a few more arrows flew through the air, swiftly killing the wounded men, pinning them to the ground. Kui Ge's eyes widened as a dozen figures with light green skin emerged from the forest behind him.

Kui Ge was quickly surrounded by these strange beings. One of them, who appeared male, pressed a sharp wooden blade to his throat. The others aimed their bows at him, ready to turn him into a pincushion at any moment. "Elder, there's another human here!" said the green-skinned man with the blade to Kui Ge's throat.

"Wait! It's a misunderstanding! I'm not with them!" Kui Ge raised his hands in surrender, cold sweat running down his back. From behind the tree, he stepped forward, his gaze meeting that of an older female elf-yes, an elf. Despite her green skin, she was strikingly beautiful, standing tall at about 1.7 meters, her figure curvaceous and sharp. Her flawless face looked as if it had been retouched by an app, and the green, intricately designed leather armor she wore blended a sense of raw power with an alluring beauty.

"You understand Elvish?" The elder, the strikingly beautiful elf, examined the strangely dressed human before her. He appeared weak, lacking both magical and martial energy, yet there was an unmistakable, unique aura of plant life flowing within him.

"Elvish? You mean you're elves from the legends?" Now it was Kui Ge's turn to be surprised.

These green-skinned beings-no, elves-didn't speak the same language as the men they had attacked, yet somehow Kui Ge understood both. Moreover, despite speaking in Chinese, they seemed to comprehend his words perfectly!

"Cunning human! The elder is asking you a question! Answer honestly!" said a young elf, pressing his blade closer to Kui Ge.

"Shara Huiyao, release him," the elder, named Shara Yueying, ordered with a wave of her green staff.

"But Elder Shara Yueying, those damned humans kidnapped Beiyi Si!" the young elf named Shara Huiyao protested.

"I said release him! This human possesses the life energy of plants, sharing a connection with our elven heritage. He is not our enemy!" Elder Shara Yueying's tone was cold, but commanding. At her words, the other elves lowered their bows, though they remained on high alert, scanning the surroundings warily.

"Bearer of nature's power, I am Shara Yueying, elder of the Shara Green Elf Tribe. Though many questions linger between us, our situation is urgent. The Elven Tribe requires your assistance." Shara Yueying's enchanting fragrance clouded Kui Ge's mind, leaving him momentarily dazed, unsure of what she had just said.

"I am Kui Ge, and I'm happy to help the peace-loving elves," Kui Ge replied, remembering that elves, according to legend, were a peaceful and harmless race that lived deep in the mountains. Taking a deep breath to calm himself, he forced a smile.

"The ones who escaped are from the notorious Ironblood Mercenary Group. They invaded the Eternal Forest and kidnapped our princess, Beiyi Si, along with three other tribesmen! We've chased them all the way here, and now we are at the forest's edge. Beyond a hundred more miles lies human territory. We cannot go any further without risking capture by human warriors, so I beseech you, Kui Ge, to aid the Shara Tribe and rescue Princess Beiyi Si and the others!" Shara Yueying's eyes glimmered with desperation. Despite her status as an elder, she knew that venturing into human lands would lead to their capture by powerful human warriors. She had no choice but to pin her hopes on this young man, who carried the power of nature within him.

"Princess of the elves? Those wretched slavers! Don't worry, Elder Yueying. I'll do everything in my power to rescue Princess Beiyi Si!" Kui Ge spoke with righteous indignation, though his mind was racing. From what he had read in novels, humans who captured elves typically sold them as slaves or pets to wealthy nobles and merchants, with their tragic fates often depicted in heartbreaking detail. However, Kui Ge wasn't truly committed to rescuing the princess. He was only saying this to get out of the situation alive. As for the actual rescue? If he had the ability, maybe he'd give it a shot. But facing a group as formidable as the Ironblood Mercenaries? That sounded like a death wish.

"You have a kind heart, but your current strength is no match for them. Take this space ring-it contains some money, rare fruits from the Eternal Forest, and a journal on cultivating nature's power that I personally wrote. Most importantly, there is a small vial of the Spring of Life. In human society, one drop of this is as valuable as the sacred water of the Church. Use this wealth and, within three years, bring back Princess Beiyi Si. She is under the protection of the Goddess of Life, and no one can harm her within that time. However, if she does not return to the Tree of Life within three years for her baptism, she will lose her right to inherit the throne forever!" With these words, Shara Yueying removed a green vine-engraved ring from her finger and handed it to Kui Ge.

"These treasures are too valuable!" Kui Ge was shocked, staring at the space ring in his hand. A space ring, a magical journal, and the Spring of Life-these were the kind of legendary items he had only read about in novels. And now, they were just being handed to him?

"Oh Goddess of Nature, hear my prayer. I, Shara Yueying, vow in the name of the divine to grant these resources to Kui Ge, so that he may rescue Princess Beiyi Si of the Shara Tribe. In equal oath, with no regrets." Suddenly, Shara Yueying raised her hands in prayer, and beams of green light descended, enveloping both her and Kui Ge. He felt a strange power entering his body, but instead of discomfort, he felt invigorated.

Upon hearing her solemn vow, Kui Ge knew he had to respond. "I, Kui Ge, swear to honor my promise and help Elder Shara Yueying rescue Princess Beiyi Si." Kui Ge felt quite proud of his carefully chosen words. He had promised to help, but cleverly avoided mentioning a specific timeframe. As long as he did his best, he wouldn't be breaking his promise, right? Little did he know that he had just signed a magical contract with Shara Yueying-this was no mere verbal agreement.