Chapter10 Fierce Wolf Bandit Gang

Accompanied by a piercing screech, a sliver of light seeped through the narrow crack!

"Wow! We've really made it! We can finally get out of here!" Peggy exclaimed in excitement. It had taken three attempts with the Devouring Vine to gnaw a small, meter-high hole in the five-meter-thick stone door.

The two bent low, crawling out from the dark cave, and breathed in the fresh air, making them want to shout in pure relief.

"Ah!!! We finally made it out alive!" Kui Ge shouted at the top of his lungs.

Mimicking him, Peggy shouted too, "I swear I'll live my life to the fullest!"

"Hahaha..." Both of them collapsed onto the grass. They had emerged outside a small mountain, though they had no idea where. Peggy took a small white bead from her waist, and with a flash of white light, the bead shot into the sky, transforming into a brilliant beacon, even in the daylight.

"This is the signal to contact Uncle Bard. He should find us soon," Peggy said with a smile.

"Why didn't those men in black just kill you? Why go through the trouble of teleporting you to this unknown cave?" Kui Ge finally voiced the doubt that had been troubling him. Those people clearly had the strength to entangle Bard, the King's Knight, and could easily have killed Peggy.

A trace of melancholy flashed across Peggy's face as she slowly replied, "They're not from the Dark Temple. Although their power resembles that of the temple, killing me would leave traces. That's why they resorted to such a despicable method, trapping us in a cave where no one would ever find us. If we weren't found, we'd die here without a trace. Their goal wasn't just to stop me from reaching the Holy Kingdom—where even if I don't become the Holy Maiden, I'd still gain powers that frighten them."

"You know who's behind this?" Kui Ge sensed something unusual in her words.

Peggy fell silent, hugging her knees and burying her head, as if unwilling to share more.

Two hours later, the sound of galloping horses echoed from afar. Five Holy Knights, in a neat formation, kicked up dust as they rode towards them.

"Uncle Bard is here. It's time for us to part ways," Peggy said softly. At some point, she had donned her veil again, leaving only her slightly reddened eyes visible, just as she had looked when Kui Ge first met her in the carriage.

"Peggy, when... when will we meet again?" Kui Ge asked, his heart heavy. The girl who had stirred his emotions and whom he longed to protect was now about to leave, and even the hope of seeing her again seemed like an impossible dream.

"Kui Ge, I'll miss you. We're good friends, aren't we?" Peggy whispered, standing behind him, suddenly wrapping her arms around his waist and pressing her face against his back.

As the knights drew near, Kui Ge gently released Peggy's hands. From his space ring, he took out a vibrant green necklace—a keepsake left behind by Charlotte Moonshadow—and placed it around her neck. Under the sunlight, the emerald gem sparkled, its green hue even more dazzling against her fair skin.

"Whoa! Peggy, are you alright?" The knights had finally arrived, halting neatly in front of them. Uncle Bard dismounted in a hurry, his voice filled with concern.

Peggy's expression returned to its usual calm, even cold, demeanor. "I'm fine. We were trapped in a cave. It's thanks to this gentleman, Kui Ge, that I managed to escape and send out the signal."

"Oh? You, boy? A mage, no less! This is a favor the Holy Knight's Order owes you. If you ever need help, present this token at any Holy Knight's stronghold, and we will come to your aid." Bard produced a silver-white, diamond-shaped token from his waist, engraved with a cross-shaped sword and a leaf-shaped shield. On the back, the words "Order of the Holy Knights" were etched.

As dust whirled around them, Peggy was taken away by the knights. Kui Ge's last image of her was the lingering glance she cast back from her horse. He could only hope she would reach her destination safely. If his sister hadn't succumbed to leukemia, she would probably be around Peggy's age now.

Three hours passed, and Kui Ge hadn't seen a single soul. He began to wonder if this place was deserted. Just as he was nearing the brink of exhaustion, he finally spotted a village ahead. It seemed to be of a decent size, with over twenty households visible in the distance. He hastened towards the village. He didn't even know where he was, and the map in his hand only detailed the outskirts of the Eternal Forest. Clearly, he needed a new one.

As Kui Ge walked into the village, something felt off. The silence was eerie, as if the place had been abandoned.

"Who's there?" Kui Ge sensed something watching him from a nearby bamboo basket. He moved closer to inspect it, lifting the basket, and discovered a small, ragged boy inside, clutching a rusty dagger, his expression filled with fear.

"Kid, what happened here? Why is there no one around?" Kui Ge asked in as gentle a tone as possible.

"Don't... don't come any closer! I'm a descendant of the great King Tristan, the Shadow Assassin!" the little boy declared, as if his words could scare off the strange man standing before him.

"King Tristan? What's that supposed to mean?" Kui Ge asked, puzzled. Was this some powerful warrior?

The boy, indignant, forgot his fear and shouted, "King Tristan isn't 'something'! He's the most powerful assassin on the Eternal Continent, known as the Humble Harbinger of Death hidden in the light!"

"Oh? That rings a bell. Wasn't he one of the Seven Virtue Knights of the Church, the Humility Knight? How did he become an assassin?" Kui Ge murmured to himself.

"Hmph! He'd never be a knight of the Church! My ancestor once killed a Pope! I'm warning you, don't mess with me, or you'll regret it!" the boy threatened again.

"Looks like I won't be leaving anytime soon." Kui Ge stroked his stubbled chin and stood up, looking towards the entrance of the village.

Three bloodied men appeared at the entrance, armed with swords.

"Boss, I wasn't hearing things. There's someone here!" one of the shorter men, with a shifty look, said excitedly.

The one called "Boss" was a towering, muscular man standing over six feet tall, with a fearsome scar on his bald head. He approached Kui Ge with a menacing stride.

"Run! They're from the Savage Wolf Bandit Group! That bald guy is a warrior!" the little boy yelled, his eyes wide with terror, urging Kui Ge to flee.

【Yo, check it—Kui Ge and Peggy be trapped in this cave, but Peggy busts out with her magic vine game, creating a lil' hole for them to escape. They hit the fresh air, all like, "We alive, baby!" Peggy's got a plan, shoots up a signal to call in Uncle Bard and his crew, while Kui's trippin', wonderin' why the bad guys didn't just end Peggy. Turns out, they tryin' to play slick, lockin' her up so she don't reach the Holy Kingdom and snatch that power. When the Holy Knights roll up, it's time for Peggy to bounce, but not before some teary goodbyes and a shiny green necklace moment. Kui Ge left solo, stumblin' on a spooky village with a scrappy lil' kid claimin' assassin royalty, but uh-oh—here come some bloody bandits. Time to turn up or turn out!】