Intrigue

Scott doubted Javi's praise of Kate Carter, but he had a harder time doubting Javi's praise of Savannah Harding. Everyone in Oklahoma knew who Bill and Jo Harding were. Their work had increased warning time to fifteen minutes.

Still, Scott wasn't exactly thrilled to have either of them there. From the way Javi talked about them, they sounded like distractions.

Javi pulled up and Scott watched as two girls piled out of the car. The taller one was blonde and didn't look happy to be there, the shorter one was brunette and looked even unhappier to be there.

Scott wasn't sure which one was Kate and which one was Savannah, but his attention was drawn to the short brunette. Her hair was long and wavy, reaching all the way down her back to her ass.

Javi led the girls over and Scott noted more about her appearance. Her lips were a pretty shade of pink and she had freckles. But her eyes were her most notable feature, green and void of life. Scott had heard of the term "dead eyes" before, but he'd never actually seen them in person.

She was pretty.

"Bring it in, team," Javi said. "Alright. You guys have all heard me talk about Kate," he gestured to the blonde. "And Sav," he gestured towards the brunette. Scott's eyes lingered on her, hardly sparing Kate a glance.

"How no one has better instincts than these two. They're the smartest people I know, they're the best." Kate looked embarrassed, but Sav had a thousand-yard stare like she wasn't even listening to the praise Javi was showering her and Kate with.

"And you will never work with a more talented team than this one. Look, we got PhDs from NASA, FEMA, NOAA, NWS." He gestured to different members of their team, introducing them by degrees and not names.

"Oh, you've got the whole alphabet," Kate joked dryly.

"Only the best," Javi replied. "Except for Scott, my partner here." He introduced the tallest and most serious-looking member of the group. Sav had to admit to herself, he was an attractive man. His eyes were obscured by blacked-out sunglasses, so she couldn't see where he was looking, but she felt his scrutinizing gaze on her.

"He went to MIT instead of Muskogee State. But he makes up for it with his beautiful, amazing personality." Javi put his hand on Scott's shoulder, patting him. Scott flashed a sarcastic smile.

"Well, the ladies are only giving us a week, but while we have them, ooh, it's gonna be the wildest tornado week you've ever seen, fellas," Javi told the team. The team, minus Scott, laughed excitedly.

"Yeah, and everybody with a ten-dollar weather app knows it," Scott said, looking around the lot. "We got to stay ahead of this circus."

Suddenly everyone's attention was captured by a truck, followed by a van and an RV, pulling into the lot, blasting music. Sav noticed Javi's mood sour. As the red truck passed them, a man leaned out the passenger window with a camera. "Hey, Storm Par!" he called at the group. "We're live on YouTube. Say something!"

"Blow me, Boone," one of the crew replied. "Eric," Javi whispered to Sav. "Don't engage, don't engage," Scott reprimanded him. "Hey, smile, man!" Boone said mockingly. "Science is fun, right?"

People swarmed the vehicles when they came to a stop.

"Who are they?" Kate asked. "Chasers out of Arkansas," Javi replied. "Hillbillies with a YouTube channel," Scott added flatly.

A man in a cowboy hat stepped out of the truck and Sav watched Boone film himself and the man. "And if ya feel it..." The man yelled. "CHASE IT!" The crowd finished. "I said, if ya feel it..." "CHASE IT!"