Chapter 19

Sahar stood in front of her bathroom mirror, staring at her reflection. Dark circles ringed her tired eyes, and her skin looked paler than usual. The sleepless night had left her exhausted, with her thoughts caught in a loop of fear and paranoia. The mysterious messages, the flowers—everything had rattled her to the core.

She splashed cold water on her face, taking a deep breath. She needed to do something. She couldn't just stay in her apartment, waiting for the next message. She needed help, and there was only one person she could think of—her old classmate, Rami. His father was a police officer, and right now, that was all she could cling to.

Pulling her hair into a messy ponytail, she slipped on a jacket, grabbed her phone and keys, and left the apartment, casting one last glance at the ominous bouquet on the table. The sight of the roses made her skin crawl, but she couldn't deal with that now. She had to focus.

The streets were bustling with the usual morning traffic—commuters hurrying to work, kids with backpacks laughing on their way to school. Despite the normalcy around her, Sahar couldn't shake the feeling that she was being watched. Every rustle of a coat or flicker of movement in the corner of her eye sent her pulse racing.

After a short drive, she arrived at Rami's house, a two-story home nestled in a quiet, tree-lined neighborhood. She paused at the gate, memories flooding back. Rami had been a good friend throughout university, always there when she needed help with a project or advice. Things had shifted when he'd proposed to her after their final exam. She hadn't expected it—hadn't known how to respond—and after that awkward moment, she'd avoided him. She hadn't contacted him since, and guilt weighed heavily on her as she approached the door.

Sahar took a deep breath and knocked. Moments later, the door swung open, and there he was—Rami. His dark hair was slightly disheveled, and he wore a casual t-shirt, but the surprise on his face was unmistakable.

"Sahar?" Rami's voice was filled with disbelief, his smile hesitant. "Wow... I didn't expect to see you. How long has it been?"

Sahar shifted awkwardly, offering a small smile. "Yeah... it's been a while. Too long, actually."

Rami stepped aside, holding the door open. "Come in. I wasn't expecting any visitors. What's up? You look... tense."

Sahar walked into the familiar warmth of the house, but the usual comfort it once brought her felt far away. She turned to face Rami, her heart pounding. "Rami, I wouldn't have come if it wasn't serious. I—I need your help."

His brow furrowed, concern overtaking his initial surprise. "What's going on? You alright?"

"I don't know," she murmured, running a hand through her hair. "Something's been happening... I don't know how to explain it."

Before she could continue, Rami spoke, his voice quieter, more serious. "You know, I kept wondering if I'd ever hear from you again. After... you know, after I asked you out and you didn't respond. I thought I'd scared you off."

Sahar felt a pang of guilt. She hadn't meant to hurt him. "Rami, I didn't know what to say back then. I wasn't ready. And I'm sorry I just disappeared... but this isn't about that. I'm here because I need help. I didn't know who else to go to."

He stared at her for a moment, his expression softening. "I understand. Whatever it is, you know I'm here for you."

"Is your dad home?" Sahar asked, glancing down the hallway nervously. "I really need to talk to him."

Rami nodded, the playful tone in his voice replaced by concern. "Yeah, he's in the living room. Come with me."

They walked into the cozy living room, where Rami's father officer Harrison, a tall man with salt-and-pepper hair, sat reading a newspaper. He looked up as they entered, folding the paper neatly and setting it aside.

"Sahar!" His voice was warm and welcoming. "It's been a long time since we've seen you. How are you, my dear?"

Sahar offered a nervous smile. "I'm okay, sir... but actually, I need your help."

Rami's father immediately sensed the seriousness in her voice. His face shifted from friendly to focused in an instant. "What happened, is everything alright dear."

Sahar took a deep breath and sat down on the couch. "I think I'm being stalked," she began, feeling the weight of those words as they left her mouth. "A few days ago, I started getting strange messages. At first, I thought it was a prank, but then yesterday... someone left flowers and a note inside my apartment. I didn't let anyone in. They've been inside, and I have no idea who it is."

Rami sat beside her, his expression serious now. "You're sure? No one's got access to your place?"

Sahar nodded, her fingers trembling as she spoke. "No one. I live alone, and I don't give out spare keys."

Rami's father leaned forward, his gaze intense. "This isn't something to take lightly. This is more than just stalking. It's a violation of your safety."

"I know," Sahar whispered, feeling her heart race again. "I don't feel safe anymore."

Rami exchanged a look with his father before speaking again. "Alright. First things first—have you saved the messages?"

Sahar pulled out her phone, handing it over. "I've kept everything."

Rami's father examined the texts, his expression growing darker with each line he read. "We'll start by tracking the number. It's possible they've been using a burner phone, but we can still trace it to some degree. I'll make some calls, see if we can figure out who's behind this."

"Thank you," Sahar said, her voice barely above a whisper. "I didn't know who else to turn to."

Rami placed a hand on Sahar's shoulder, giving her a reassuring squeeze. "You're not alone in this, Sahar. We'll figure it out. I'm just glad you came to me."

Sahar felt a lump form in her throat, the tension finally easing just a little. She wasn't alone anymore, and for the first time in days, that gave her a small sense of relief.

At that moment, they heard soft footsteps on the stairs. Sahar glanced up to see Rami's mother descending, her face lighting up the moment she saw Sahar.

"Sahar! Oh my goodness, it's so good to see you!" She reached out, pulling Sahar into a warm embrace. "Where have you been, dear? We've missed you. It's been months!"

Sahar smiled, though it didn't quite reach her eyes. "I've been busy... life's been a little crazy lately."

"Busy, huh?" Rami's mother chuckled, stepping back to get a better look at her. "Well, you need to come by more often. Don't be a stranger."

"I'll try," Sahar promised, feeling a little guilty for how distant she'd been.

"Alright, enough chitchat for now," Rami's father interrupted, standing up. "I need to make a few calls. We'll get this sorted out, Sahar."

He excused himself, heading to his study. Rami, sensing the tension still hanging in the air, turned to Sahar with a reassuring smile.

"Why don't you sit down and relax for a minute? I'll make us some coffee."

Sahar managed a weak smile. "That sounds good. Thanks, Rami."

As Rami disappeared into the kitchen, Sahar sat back on the couch, trying to ease the tightness in her chest. Rami's mother hovered nearby, still chatting about how nice it was to have her around again, but Sahar's mind was miles away, consumed by the creeping dread of what the stalker might do next.