Part 7

13

I parted ways with Xu Xing Zhan with unspoken understanding.
There was no heated argument; just as he wished, we became true "neighbors."

Occasionally, when we ran into each other and couldn't avoid it, we would smile and nod.

Somehow, the matter between him and Jian Qing Mai had been exposed, and the teacher called Xu Xing Zhan's parents.

When they saw me, his parents cautiously asked, "Zhi Zhi, why haven't we seen you around lately? Did you and Xing Zhan have a fight?"

Since we were little, they had jokingly called me their future daughter-in-law. Xu Xing Zhan had always kept his distance from other girls, so when they found out he was dating someone else, they were naturally shocked and confused.
But I could tell they didn't blame him for it.

On the contrary, when I shook my head and said we hadn't fought, a faint, almost imperceptible look of satisfaction appeared on their faces.

"Zhi Zhi, boys this age are bound to be playful. Just wait for him to come back, and Auntie and Uncle will talk to him."

"Xu Zhi!"

No need to wait—Xu Xing Zhan had already returned, shouting angrily.

I turned around.

He was furious, a side of him I had never seen before.

"Come here, I have something to say to you." He grabbed my arm and started walking toward the elevator.

I stumbled and instinctively reached out to steady myself, but Xu Xing Zhan quickly pulled his hand away.

Behind us, his parents smiled and called out, "Xing Zhan, have a good talk with Zhi Zhi. Kids never hold grudges overnight."

People were around us the entire way.

Only when we reached a secluded corner of the park in the neighborhood did Xu Xing Zhan finally stop.

I stood on his shadow, trying to guess what he was going to say.
"Xu Zhi, was it you who reported the matter between Jian Qing Mai and me?"

His voice was icy.

I paused for a moment.

So it was about that.

"No."

He frowned.

He didn't believe me.

I shrugged and found a nearby bench to sit on.

"Earlier, when I was with her near the grove at school... I saw you."

I let out a small laugh.

Oh.

He had seen me.

So even the word "neighbor" had been deliberately said for me to hear, hoping I would back off on my own.

I checked the time on my phone. "Xu Xing Zhan, don't tell me you think I still like you?"

"I admit, I used to like you, but not anymore. Who you date has nothing to do with me. If I had the energy to meddle in your affairs, I'd rather spend it on doing a couple more practice problems."

I looked up, and he gazed down at me.

In the past, when he looked at me like that, I would always tread carefully, trying to read any hint of emotion in his expression.

Was it dislike, or maybe affection?
But now, I just found him ridiculous.

Even a little annoying.

A message from Zhou Ji popped up on my phone screen.

【Xu Zhi, you're not studying at this hour, are you?】

【You promised to join us tonight for the New Year's fireworks. Don't back out.】

I replied quickly: 【Whoever doesn't come is a coward.】

Zhou Ji sent a voice message: "I'll be right below your building. Come downstairs in ten minutes!"

There was the sound of car horns and background chatter on his end.

It sounded like he was running, with the faint whoosh of wind and his breaths in between.

I could imagine him charging forward with that spirited look on his face.

I smiled.

"Xu Zhi."

Xu Xing Zhan stepped forward, blocking the light from the streetlamp.

His expression had changed. He no longer looked angry, but now showed a hesitation I couldn't quite decipher.

I stood up.

"Believe it or not, I didn't do it, and that's that."

"I have plans, so I'm leaving."

I had barely taken two steps.

"Xu Zhi—"

This time, his voice was so soft it was easily swallowed by the wind.

I didn't stop.

"—Happy New Year's Eve."

He said.

I waved my hand and strode toward the entrance of the neighborhood.