Part 10

18

I ended up going to Nan University with Xu Xing Zhan after all.
However, we were in different majors.

I enrolled in Bioengineering, while he was in Applied Chemistry.

Both of our parents came with us for registration.

Before they left, they reminded us to help each other at school.

The moment they left, I was ready to split up and go separate ways from Xu Xing Zhan.

"Xu Zhi," he called out to me.

Xu Xing Zhan was tall, with good looks to match.

When he stood there, he had a cool and aloof demeanor.

A lot of people on the road were glancing at him.
I asked if he needed something else.

He said, "Let's grab dinner together tonight, with Jian Qing Mai and the others. They're all alumni from Jiang High School."

I thought for a moment. "Alright."

I told him to send me the time and location.

That evening, we gathered for dinner.

I was almost the last to arrive.

The group started cheering.

"Our Jiang High School's top student is finally here. Now we can drink! You have to take a penalty shot!"

Before I could say anything, someone behind me placed a hand on my arm and leaned over with a grin.

"Sorry, sorry, it's all my fault that Xu Zhi was late."

"A penalty, right? Then I should be the one to drink it."

Without another word, Zhou Ji grabbed a bottle and downed it, not even blushing or catching his breath afterward, acting like nothing had happened.

After sitting down, he tugged on the corner of my shirt. "Quick, quick, pour me some coconut juice! I'm dying over here!"

I lifted the corner of my mouth in a smile.

Zhou Ji had also come to Nan University.

I'd known about his dream school for a long time from his good friend.
He had applied for Applied Physics at Nan University.

Across the table sat Xu Xing Zhan and Jian Qing Mai.

Someone teased the two of them.

Jian Qing Mai leaned against him with a sweet smile, "I originally hadn't planned to apply to Nancheng, but since he was applying to Nan University, I decided to come along too."

Xu Xing Zhan didn't look at her; his eyes were on me.

I couldn't understand what he meant, so I looked away and started chatting with my classmates.

After a few rounds of drinks, the atmosphere heated up, and someone started gossiping.

"Hey, Xu Xing Zhan, I used to think you and Xu Zhi were a couple. You two were inseparable, always side by side on the honor roll."

The room suddenly fell silent.

I instinctively looked over at Zhou Ji.

He smiled reassuringly at me and refilled my glass with coconut juice.

Jian Qing Mai was the first to break the silence. Her tone turned cold. "If you can't speak properly, then shut up."

That person realized he'd made a mistake, apologized repeatedly, and took two penalty shots before slumping back in his chair, pretending to be dead.
Xu Xing Zhan said, "Alright, Mai Mai, he's drunk. He was just spouting nonsense."

That one light remark instantly lit the fuse in Jian Qing Mai's temper.

She threw her chopsticks aside. "Is this about being drunk?!"

Then she stormed out of the room.

Everyone exchanged glances.

They urged Xu Xing Zhan to go after her and calm her down.

This whole thing was that classmate's fault, anyway.

Even though I was mentioned, it wasn't really my business.

Before leaving, Xu Xing Zhan inexplicably stopped between me and Zhou Ji. "Xu Zhi."

He hesitated, as if carefully choosing his words.

"Could you come with me to explain things to Mai Mai? She seems to misunderstand our relationship."

The way he said it, it sounded like I had intentionally caused a fight between them.

I laughed.

But then I felt a weight on my shoulder.

Zhou Ji's head wobbled on my shoulder.

One moment he was sober, and the next he was completely drunk, out of his senses.

He acted like a child, whining, "Ah, Xu Zhi, my head hurts. It's so heavy, I can't lift it."

I stifled a laugh and tried to soothe him. "Where does it hurt? Let me rub it for you."

"Here, right here."

He grabbed my hand and pressed it against his temple, letting out a couple of contented sighs.

Like a lazy, comfortable cat.

Xu Xing Zhan realized we were doing it on purpose and left without another word.

Zhou Ji dropped his drunken act, brushed the wrinkles off my shoulder, then froze for a moment, quickly retracting his hand.

Trying to cover it up, he grabbed the cup next to him and took a drink.

I gave him a puzzled look. "You're drinking from my cup."

He was startled and began coughing violently.

His face and ears turned bright red.

A classmate beside us tried to lighten the mood, making jokes about me and Zhou Ji.

"I've noticed something's off between you two for a while. Come on, spill it. Are you two together? When did it happen?"

While I poured water for Zhou Ji, who was still coughing, I replied, "No, we're not together."

"Then..."

Zhou Ji, who had finally caught his breath, said, "Yeah, you know Xu Zhi's got her heart and mind fully set on studying. There's no room for me at all."

He said it while avoiding my gaze.

What? Did drinking from the wrong cup make him suddenly all shy?

I rolled my eyes.