Extra (2): Puppy Zhou's Perspective

3

A new girl transferred to Science Class 2, and everyone said she was very pretty.
Zhou Ji, however, was as stubborn as a mule and didn't agree.

They asked Zhou Ji to name a girl at Jiang High School who was prettier than Jian Qing Mai.

He casually mentioned a few names and finally brought up Xu Zhi.

"And there's that Xu Zhi. I think she's a bit better-looking."

Zeng Kang knew Zhou Ji's secret, and it all started at the New Year's Eve party during their third year of high school.

Previously, Zhou Ji had accidentally caught a glimpse of Class 3's student records in the office and discovered that Xu Zhi's birthday was on December 24th.
At noon, he went out to buy a cake—a blue mermaid design.

Zeng Kang kept pressing him about who it was for, and Zhou Ji couldn't dodge the questions anymore.

Zeng Kang gossiped, "I get it now! You've secretly fallen for some girl behind my back!"

"It's nothing like that. I bought it for my mom. I'm bringing it home tonight."

Xu Zhi and Xu Xing Zhan weren't dating.

When Zhou Ji realized this, it felt like a weight had lifted off him.

But Xu Zhi liked Xu Xing Zhan.

The weight came crashing back down.

At the party, Xu Zhi ran off to the lakeside in front of the library.

He thought to himself, she was probably waiting for Xu Xing Zhan.

Today was her birthday.

Zhou Ji crouched far away, holding the cake and keeping her company.

Her shoulders shook, as if she were crying.

After a long, long time—long enough for his legs to go numb—he decided to just go for it and stood up with the cake.

He managed to deliver the cake.

As a stranger.

She was indeed crying, her voice thick with emotion, like a small, drenched, and frail kitten.
Zhou Ji restrained himself from approaching, not wanting to startle her again.

Silently, he followed behind her and walked her home.

When she looked back, he quickly ducked into a stairwell corner and collided with Zeng Kang, who had been quietly trailing him.

Just as Zeng Kang was about to shout, Zhou Ji covered his mouth and, dryly, tried to imitate a cat's meow.

Zeng Kang had a look of playful curiosity, insisting on peeking to see who Zhou Ji had escorted.

Zeng Kang found out Zhou Ji's crush was Xu Zhi in the days that followed.

Zeng Kang noticed Zhou Ji seemed unusually excited about the recent exams.

Especially when he returned from the examination room.

He even came back with an apple.

With his sharp eyes, Zeng Kang saw a note attached to the apple.

"Zhou Ji! Was it from that girl you like?"

"No."

Zhou Ji was smug and carefully hid the note away.

Then, they bumped into Xu Zhi, and Zhou Ji's ears instantly turned crimson.

Zeng Kang belatedly realized, "Well, well! So it was Xu—mmph!"

Zhou Ji quickly wrapped his arm around Zeng Kang's neck, clamping his hand over his mouth, and dragged him back to the classroom.
Zhou Ji's little secret now had a noisy witness.

With a heart full of admiration, he cautiously drew closer to her.

Each step he took was filled with sweetness.

On the night Xu Zhi kissed him, his mind was a chaotic whirl.

A fleeting image crossed his mind.

On a bus, a girl with her head bowed, listening to music, her profile pale and serene.

Suddenly, she turned and met his gaze.

The October sunlight streamed in.

In the golden glow, she pursed her lips and smiled.

At that moment, he could hear his heartbeat clearly.

Thump.

Thump.

Vivid and strong.

(The End of Extra)