Part 11

19

Xu Xing Zhan and Jian Qing Mai didn't return for the second half.
Everyone tacitly agreed not to mention the two of them.

That night, Sun Hui Er called me for some gossip.

She told me that Jian Qing Mai and Xu Xing Zhan had a fight and were on the verge of breaking up, and Jian Qing Mai had been posting sarcastic messages on her social media.

I asked Sun Hui Er how she had Jian Qing Mai's WeChat.

She explained that when Jian Qing Mai had first transferred to Jiang High School, many classmates had asked for her contact information, and she had done the same.
On the day of the military training.

The late summer sun was scorching.

One of my roommates couldn't stand the heat, got dizzy from heatstroke, and someone in the crowd started shouting.

Just after we helped my roommate onto a male classmate's back, I suddenly felt myself lifted into the air—someone was carrying me.

Zhou Ji had lost his hat, his head was drenched in sweat, and he was carrying me while shouting for people to make way.

I punched him.

He grunted, finally looking down at me for a moment.

"You're crazy, Zhou Ji. The one who's got heatstroke is my roommate."

"Huh?" He froze, "I heard someone say a girl from Class 1 had fainted. I thought it was you."

He set me down and rubbed his chest. "You've really been working on those little punches of yours."

"Of course. Now I can take down a Little Zhou Ji with just one punch."

He clicked his tongue and flicked the brim of my hat. "Who are you calling little?"

"I'm talking about you, you!"

Zhou Ji spread his arms wide and puffed out his chest. "Go ahead, hit me again. If I make a sound, I'm a puppy!"
I raised my fist and hit him.

He burst out laughing.

"You made a sound."

He didn't argue, and instead laughed even louder, "Woof."

Around the corner, a figure was leaving.

I recognized the fleeting profile—it was Xu Xing Zhan.

20

Jian Qing Mai sent me a text message.

It was the day after Sun Hui Er told me that she and Xu Xing Zhan had reconciled.

【Let's talk.】

At first, I didn't reply, thinking someone had sent it to the wrong person.

Then she tried to add me on WeChat, with the verification message saying: "I am Jian Qing Mai."

I didn't have anything to talk with her.

But I didn't want to waste any more time getting dragged into their relationship.

So I accepted her request and replied: 【I was never with Xu Xing Zhan, and I won't like him in the future either. Don't drag me into your issues anymore.】

She took a long time typing, only to reply with a single word: "Okay."

See? Such a simple matter.

Two sentences and it was resolved. No need for drama or fighting.

University life was wonderful. I had extra time to do things outside of studying.
I explored this unfamiliar city with my roommates, dressed up together, and discovered all sorts of new things.

The first time I successfully put on makeup was on the night of our student council team-building event.

I had a few symbolic drinks that evening and went to the restroom at some point.

When I came out, a guy called out to me.

It took me a moment to recognize him as someone from our table, a senior a year ahead of me.

"Xu Zhi, can I add you on WeChat?"

He could have added me through the group chat, but he didn't. Instead, he asked me face-to-face.

In a brief daze, I thought he resembled Xu Xing Zhan a little.

Then I blinked, and Xu Xing Zhan actually appeared behind him.

"Xu Zhi, what are you doing here?"

I paused, pointing to the restroom sign. "What do you think?"

"I see."

Xu Xing Zhan sneered.

He glanced at the senior, the meaning clear in his eyes.

I didn't want to bother with him. I added the senior on WeChat and we headed back together.

The senior seemed to sense something, "The person just now was...?"

"An old classmate."

The signals from the senior were obvious, so I pretended to be busy on my phone to avoid his gaze.

On my phone, Zhou Ji had sent me a picture of him eating in the cafeteria.

【Time to eat!】

【Others get to eat nice food, while I can only stay home gnawing on a steamed bun (collapsing in tears.jpg)】

【No worries, a steamed bun with Lao Gan Ma [1] sauce is still delicious.】

The aftereffects of those few sips of alcohol I had started to slowly kick in.

I leaned back in my chair and typed on my phone.

【Puppy Zhou, are you free?】

He replied quickly.

【Master, what do you need?】

【Come pick me up.】

【At your service!】

After the dinner ended, I politely declined the senior's offer to walk me home.

Suddenly, I felt a sharp pain in my arm as I was pulled into an embrace.

I looked up to see Xu Xing Zhan's stern face.

"Xu Zhi, haven't Auntie and Uncle ever reminded you that a young woman like you shouldn't drink when you're out alone?"

His sudden concern was baffling.

I pulled away, but he tightened his grip.

He looked me up and down, a faint trace of admiration flickering in his eyes, though it was quickly replaced by even greater irritation.

"You even learned to put on makeup?"

"None of your business."

"What are you two talking about?" A warm hand wrapped around my waist, gently pulling me aside.

Zhou Ji looked down, his eyes shining. "Did you wait long?"

I shook my head.

Only then did he lift his gaze to look at the person in front of us.

Suddenly realizing, he said, "Oh, it's you. From a distance, I thought it was some drunk pestering our Fairy Xu."

Xu Xing Zhan's face was cold, his lips pressed tightly together.

His gaze was almost tangible as it landed on Zhou Ji's hand around my waist.

"Is everything okay? If so, we'll be off now."

As we turned away, Zhou Ji deliberately didn't lower his voice. "Who does he think he is? What's your relationship with him? Why is he telling you whether you can drink or wear makeup?"

"Just a neighbor."

"Hmph, he's even more controlling than I am."

He raised his hand to hail a taxi.

________
Footnote:

[1] Lao Gan Ma (老干妈) is a popular Chinese brand of chili sauces known for its rich, spicy flavor.