Part 9

16

Spring gave way to summer.

After the tense and intense exam preparation, the college entrance exams arrived as scheduled.
It was a muggy, overcast day.

Once the last exam ended, the pent-up clouds finally released their rain.

Many people dashed into the downpour, running and shouting, venting the frustration they had bottled up over the past three years.

I stood under the eaves, raising my hand to let the raindrops slip through my fingers.

Someone patted my shoulder.

"What are you planning to do over the summer?"

Zhou Ji leaned against the wall, tilting his head with a smile.
Just as I was about to answer, Xu Xing Zhan walked up behind him.

Zhou Ji noticed and shifted slightly, casting a sidelong glance at him before turning back with an undiminished smile.

I said, "I'm going to learn to drive. What about you?"

Zhou Ji shrugged lightly. "Forced by my family to go abroad and play the role of their bag carrier."

"Sounds so pitiful. How about I take this wonderful job off your hands?"

"Sure, go ahead—"

For some reason, Xu Xing Zhan, who had walked away, turned back and stepped between us.

Xu Xing Zhan's tone was uncharacteristically soft. "Xu Zhi, when are you leaving?"

"Huh?"

Zhou Ji raised his head slightly, peeking over Xu Xing Zhan's shoulder.

He looked a bit miserable, but his eyes were smiling, his voice full of feigned grievance. "Xu Zhi, I didn't bring an umbrella. Can you walk me home?"

Xu Xing Zhan spoke almost at the same time, "My mom said she'd like to invite you and Auntie to dinner tonight. Let's go home together."

Ah, so that's why Xu Xing Zhan was suddenly so different.

It turned out to be an order from his mom.

"Let's skip going home together. Please tell Auntie that I'll be there tonight."
With that, I sidestepped him and met Zhou Ji's eyes.

"Let's go, Young Master Zhou. I'll walk you to the school gate."

"Alright!"

The umbrella was small, and Zhou Ji and I weren't standing very close, so both our shoulders ended up half-soaked.

He was tall, and after a while, he took the umbrella from me.

He tilted it to cover my other shoulder.

Without a word, I moved a little closer, our clothes brushing together.

"Zhou Ji—"

"Xu Zhi—"

We spoke at the same time.

Then we both chuckled.

"You go first," he said.

My hand brushed lightly along the seam of his pants.

"Zhou Ji, have a great summer, and remember to use sunscreen."

He paused for a moment, then broke into a smile.

Dimples appeared at the corners of his lips.

I suddenly realized how incredibly good-looking he was.

He said, "You too. Enjoy your driving lessons this summer. Then you can take me out for a drive."

"I don't have money to buy a car, though."

"No problem. I'll steal my dad's car and let you drive it."

I nudged him with my elbow.

Up ahead, someone called his name loudly.
Zhou Ji lifted the umbrella, and as the misty rain drifted toward us, he raised his hand to shield me.

He said, "Speak of the devil. My dad's here. Let's go; I'll give you a ride home. You can even get an early feel of my dad's car."

I pointed to another direction, where my parents stood, watching for me eagerly. "Maybe next time. My mom and dad are here too."

He returned the umbrella to me, his hand grazing my fingertips.

It was cold, yet somehow it sparked a silent flame.

Zhou Ji bolted into the rain.

The wind and rain swept in from the right, relentless.

The boy in the rain turned back, running and waving.

"Xu Zhi, keep in touch!"

"Alright. Let's keep in touch."

17

I didn't skip the Xu family's dinner party.

This was the first time I shared a table for a meal with Xu Xing Zhan after becoming "neighbors."

Auntie and Uncle were very enthusiastic, asking about my exam results and inquiring about my dream school.

I smiled and answered each question.

After returning from the restroom, I passed by Xu Xing Zhan's bedroom.

He had his back to the door, talking on the phone with someone. "Not today, tomorrow. My family is hosting guests today."

"Yes, she's here too."

I didn't know what the person on the other end of the line said, but Xu Xing Zhan clicked his tongue lightly.

His tone was very, very soft.

But I knew this was his sign of extreme impatience.

I didn't linger and headed back to the living room.

This summer had been exhausting for me.

During the day, I learned to drive; in the evenings, I took swimming lessons and practiced Thai boxing.

My parents were worried about my safety when I went to study out of town, so they wanted me to learn a few survival skills.

Meanwhile, Sun Hui Er and the others were constantly showing off in our group chat, bragging about their travels or food.

On the day the scores came out, my parents were even more nervous than I was.

After hearing my scores, the weight finally lifted off their shoulders.

I was confident about getting into Nan University.

Then, my homeroom teacher called, followed by calls from various admissions offices, keeping my parents happily busy.

Zhou Ji sent me a photo. He was wearing sunglasses and beach shorts, but he'd gotten a tan.

I replied: 【What did you send? I can't see anything at all.】

He didn't catch on at first and sent it again.

It wasn't until after he sent it the second time that he realized.

【Alright, Xu Zhi, now you even know how to be sarcastic.】

I stopped teasing him: 【I heard from the teacher that you scored second in the grade this time.】

【Who could get first with you around?】

【Have you decided which school you'll apply to?】

【It's a secret.】

Hmph.

Even if he didn't say, I already knew.

Just as I was about to log off, Zhou Ji sent a voice message.

"Xu Zhi, we were about to turn eighteen."

His voice was clear and spirited, the vibrancy of youth practically bursting through the screen.

"Wishing you, wishing me, that we'll continue to shine brightly in the future."