⟅C⟆⟅h⟆⟅a⟆⟅p⟆⟅t⟆⟅e⟆⟅r⟆ ⟅o⟆⟅n⟆⟅e⟆

The morning of the reaping rolls around and Ellie knocks on the door to my bedroom at the academy. I slip out, ready for the day but also knowing that one of us could end up not coming back.

We walk out to the square and I see Ellie walk over to the other girls. Clove is there along with some of the others from our training group. I see the boys and walk over walk over to them. Ellie smiles at me from across the square and I mouth Are you okay? She nods and I smile. I don't know I'll do if she gets reaped.

The escort, who's name I do not know or care about, pulls the girls names. "Ellie Freeman." She says into the microphone and then the panic sets in. I can't lose her. "And now, for the boys." She digs through the glass ball with all the names in. My name is only in there once so I know I don't have much chance but even if I did get picked, at least Ellie would have someone to protect her.

"Cato Hadley." My heart stops and everyone parts, leaving me to walk up to the stage. "Come on, dearie." I start moving, not even realising I'm doing so until the steps to the stage are just before my feet. I step up and the lady smiles at us. "Come on you two, shake hands." I grasp Ellie's hand and look down at her. She looks so pale.

We are given three minutes to say goodbye to our families and friends and then we are taken to the train. It is sleek, with silver paint work, and it hovers just above the tracks. Ellie grasps my hand and we step aboard. Our noses are hit with the aroma of sweet smelling pastries and I look over at our escort. She nods, implying that we are allowed to take them. I take a plate and get some for Ellie and I to share. Soon, it is decided that we must meet our mentors. Brutus and Enobaria. Both victors from years gone by but they aren't exactly out of shape. Brutus is around 35 and Enobaria is roughly 29.

Enobaria bares her teeth at us and we stare at her. "So, what's the plan? You guys won this thing once, you should have some advice, right?" Brutus raises an eyebrow at me and Enobaria is looking Ellie up and down. "You're so eager. Most of you, although you normally win, aren't this eager." Enobaria continues to stare at Ellie and I notice her becoming uncomfortable. "Why are you looking at her like that?" I ask.
"There's something different about her. She looks different."

I look over at Ellie and realise that she does look a little pale. I pull her into my side and I look down at her. I hear Brutus gasp as he realises what this is. "Well, we've never had two tributes who were going out before, have we?" Enobaria shakes her head and I see Ellie clutch her stomach. "What's wrong, princess?"
"I just don't feel well. It's been like this for a few weeks now." Enobaria's eyes harden and I can practically see the cogs in her brain turning. "Have you two ever..." I know exactly what she means and I blush. "A few times."
"Ellie, I need you to come with me." Ellie stands up and follows Enobaria, leaving me alone with Brutus. "Boy, if you've gone and knocked her up, you have to protect her. She'll be even more fragile." I nod and thoughts run through my head. What if she is? What if I never get to meet them? What if she dies?

Ellie comes back with Enobaria a few hours later. It's clear she's been crying and I want to comfort her but I can't bring myself to speak. I'm in too much shock. We hadn't even realised that something like this could happen and here we are, potentially sending three tributes from district two. "So, what did it say?" I ask.
Ellie is silent for a few moments. "I...I'm pregnant." I see the tears well up in her eyes and I gesture for her to come and give me a hug. "I'm so sorry, baby." I know it's all my fault. Obviously, there were times when we'd talked about wanting a baby. And as much as I didn't want to admit it, I wanted her to have my baby. The only problem is the games. Even if Ellie survives, there's a chance our baby may not or that I won't be there. Brutus looks at me, clearly understanding my mental turmoil. After all, there had to have been a time when he also desperately wanted to be a father. And now I'm being given that opportunity and it's being taken away by the capitol.

Our escort walks back in and it's only then that I realise that Brutus and Enobaria are crying too. I lift Ellie's chin and press a soft kiss to her lips.