Chapter 17 | Wind Hug

Aria slowly opened her eyes as the sun began to rise. She had slept alone on the rock, and now the flower field was devoid of life, as if everything from the previous night had been a dream.

"I can still feel... warmth," she murmured, the sensations still lingering. As she looked down, her eyes widened. There were flower petals in her hand, remnants of the blooms from last night. "Was it all just a dream?" she wondered.

A voice answered her, "It was real." Aria turned to see the Red Witch looking at her, petals also in her hand. "These are Moon Flowers," the Red Witch said gravely.

"They are born in the Land of the End, withering away in the morning and blooming under the full moon." She then threw the petals towards the sun, and they withered.

"This isn't right. Can you remember his chant?" the witch asked.

Aria closed her eyes, recalling that moment. "I do, but I can't fully translate it. I can only remember part of his name, Rain T-wer Ash-tar, or something like that," Aria replied, sure not to forget this crucial piece of information.

"..." The Red Witch fell silent, lost in thought.

"Why don't you ask him yourself?" Aria asked.

"Who are you talking about?... Ah... Rain... This is the part about him that I hate the most. He knows I can detect lies, so he creates false truths. He doesn't lie, but he manipulates the direction of the truth. He's clever, Aria, he not crazy like you thought. He even made you cry three times in one day," Faye said plainly.

"I know, do not speak like that!" she stood up, placed the moon flower carefully in her precious item box before walking away.

"What have I just said..." Faye paused, standing still as the morning light touched her hair. Her amulet glimmered with light.

Aria come to fire camp, where Ella was still sleeping and Eeon was already awake. He communicating through a sacred book. Perhaps he made a contract with the center holy for preparing carcass collection and examination, Aria suggested, then continued walking to the campfire.

She grabbing cups nearby and pouring water from the pot. It was too hot to drink, so she used her magic to cool it down slightly. She sat down next to Ella. "Ella, it's already sunlight," she said softly.

Ella slowly opened her eyes, stretching and yawning widely. She looked at Aria and smiled beautifully. The morning sunlight made her even more enchanting, like a fairy from the sacred forest. Ella quickly used her hand to cover her mouth, trying to hide her yawn. Her cheeks turned slightly red. "Sorry, Aria," she apologized, looking away and concealing her shyness.

Aria let out a small giggle and handed Ella a cup. "Here's some water. It's still warm. Take your time and drink it, okay?"

Ella sat with her knees knocking together and grabbed the cup with both hands. The cup was still a little hot, so she sipped the water. The warm sensation ran through her body, and there was a hint of sweetness to it. Ah... Aria seemed really happy today. Even the water seemed to be filled with a spark of life. Something good must have happened to her. Maybe it was the flower she had kept last night. Her mood had improved since then. When we arrive in the next town, I should buy some delicate flower for her— Ella's thoughts were interrupted by a touch on her head.

It was Aria's hand, gently caressing her head. Aria spoke softly, "You did well, Ella. Thank you for your hard work." Ella's eyes widened, then softened as tears welled up. Her eyes reflected her joy. This was all she had ever wanted. She closed her eyes with a smile as tears glittered down her face. "Um," she said, then leaned in to hug Aria.

Aria gently stroked her back as they sat like that for a moment.

Then Ella sat back out of Aria's hug, looked at Aria Eyes, pressed her hands against the floor and said, "I'm sorry for yesterday. I was careless and couldn't control my anger. I made everything complicated... so I'm sorry." Her head was down in guilt.