-Lies & A Pinky Promise-

Previously...

He shuts off his phone and curls in to himself. The last message read:

Oh and by the way, you've got some things I want you to do...

...and he sleeps restlessly that night. Making as little noise to not wake Kenji.

And this isn't a dream anymore, it's a bloody nightmare.

•••

I've placed a really valuable item at a, very close, friends school.

Would you care to fetch it before he finds it please?

That'll be his first task. As he refills on gas, saying he's going to work to Kenji, on his way out. And he doesn't need anymore hints from those messages as he takes a route to Ben's campus.

He'd been busy trying to see if there were hidden camera's around his cabin. But he just ended up looking paranoid since he hadn't found any. No clue as to how Broker was watching them. It irritates him but then again no one's perfect, he's bound to slip up to give Darius a chance to put a stop to him. But for now, he's trying to keep a few people safe.

He's in Ben's dorm room as the last part of the tour Ben gave him. It feels wrong to do this as he eyes Ben's clean and tidy room. He'll have to wash off the regret later though, he doesn't have much time as Ben had went down the stairs to fetch a package, using the elevator. Yeah, he too was surprised once he found out the campus had those, yet then again, have you seen the size of the place?

So, he gets to rummaging around but as discreetly as possible. He's not trying to make a mess and get Ben suspicious. Wait, no. Cause even more suspicions from his odd and last minute visit. It wasn't that Ben didn't welcome it, he more than showed his excitement at his arrival. It took him back to that night at his cabin when Ben had showed up at his with absurd ideas that weren't... so absurd.

He shakes the thought away and walks toward the drawers. School supplies and a laptop set on the flat surface. He levels through one, two and three but nothing of import was within. And he released his breath at not having to find things way more... private.

He watches a curtain flow through an open window and heads over and shuts it. His eyes go to the bed next to him and how the messed up the pillow looked. Well...

He feels under it and takes out a big yellow envelope. He tries to feel it but it seemed it was wrapped in something else. He suddenly whirls around at the door opening.

"Ben, hey," he tones his voice down a little and he almost wonders if his smile's a little creepy, "You came back... quick!"

Ben shuts the door behind him with just the heel of his foot, eyeing the thing in his hand and then his face. "Uh, yeah, elevators are actually pretty much known for that. So, what you got there-" he's taking a step, his expression curious, before Darius interrupts, "Oh, its nothing. Just... Something I got for uh, Kenj!" That sounded more like a question but he hoped Ben would let it be. But that's not Ben and that's the fucking problem. "Yeah..." he points at it, eyes narrowed, "But where did you get-"

"Oh crud, look at the time," he looks down at his watch-less wrist, anxiety in him as he smiles unconvincingly, "I've gotta get going and y'know get this to Kenji and all." He starts heading to the door, side stepping Ben. But not before the taller grabs on to his arm and spins him to face him. And he thinks he's fucked then.

Ben's hands are upon his shoulders, eyes trying to read him carefully and Darius has to hold his composure at those deep blues, any wrong move and Ben would spot him and seek him out. Maybe he does and doesn't say anything, because the next thing he knows, he's within the taller's arms, pressed close to his chest. (What's with everyone embracing him again?) And Darius has to let himself sink and melt into the feeling of safety and warmth. He hasn't felt that in a while...

And he wants to remove himself from it because he doesn't deserve it. "Just be safe Darius, you know I want that for you. Just don't... Don't shut us out again. Promise?"

Maybe he's glad that they can't make eye contact now. He can lie easily this way. He grips on to the comfort a little tighter, a little longer. "I promise." Because it's that easy, when he lets go (though he wants to linger) and doesn't look back. He doesn't look back at the boy who fishes for his phone and presses his ear close for a call, worry grown on his features as he watches Darius turn a corner.

It's that easy when he starts his car and heads home. When his phone dings as he parks in his driveway and reads another bloody message from the Broker.

You did good D, that was such a cute reunion, now open up that baby!

He sighs as he looks at the thing in his lap, his fingers burn against the rough surface. He wants to be back in Bens arm's again. He wishes he never let go.

And it's easy when he tears open the thing. And low and behold, he's looking at a fucking gun.