Story Four: Fallfest '83

The commercial begins as eerie Halloween music with a synth twist plays. A shadowy Jack-O-Lantern flies toward the screen, bursting into a flash of orange and black confetti. The Narrator, in a deep, excited voice, begins to talk: "This fall, the spooks come to life at... The Annual Fallfest!" The clip quickly cuts to creepy decorations, hayrides, and fog rolling through a dark cornfield. "This year, Professor W. Afton's cooked up a chilling surprise just for you... a Frankenstein's creation, hellbent on destruction!" A flash of lightning illuminates a shadowy, monstrous figure breaking free from chains. "Dare to brave the corn maze and find your way out... but watch out! The Grimm Fox is on the prowl! A shot of Grimm Foxy is seen, bathed in moonlight, howling against a full moon, his glowing eyes piercing through the fog.

"Help Freddy and his friends take back Fallfest from The Pumpkin King and his band of monsters!" The scene shows The Pumpkin King laughing wickedly as Freddy, Bonnie, and Chica stand ready for action, surrounded by a spooky carnival atmosphere. "And don't miss the top-secret grand finale, only on Halloween Night! It's a night of tricks, treats, and terror!" Flashes of the festivities: kids in costumes, haunted attractions, and mysterious shadows lurking in the darkness. "Running from Friday, September 30th, all the way to its final, fear-filled night—Halloween! Fallfest '83... be there... when the night ignites!"

[The screen fades out with a jack-o-lantern flickering ominously, then flashing to black with a spooky laugh.]

October 30th, 1983, 7:00PM, Santa Fe. Owen stepped into his and Abby's apartment, holding a brown bag, with a Halloween Costume in it. "Abby! I'm home!" Owen shouted. But Abby didn't reply. Perhaps she was still out? Owen turned around and locked the door, before looking around. Something felt off. It felt like Abby was still in the house. While he wasn't a vampire yet, he gotten used to Abby's presence, and could somewhat detect what mood she was in. But this time, it felt scrambled. It felt off like she was watching him. His first thought is that she hadn't fed and went feral, and heard him come in and was hiding, waiting to jump him. But it quickly cleared out as he remembered Abby fed just 3 days prior. "A-Abby?" Owen called again, a bit nervous. Abby watched him from a hidden place, a large grin on her face as she watched her boyfriend look for her. All part of her plan.

Owen walked further into the dimly lit apartment, holding the brown bag in his arms, trying to stay alert. He knew Abby was watching him. He looked around, noticing that the only light was from a few jack-o-lanterns they'd carved earlier in the week, their faces flickering with the glow of orange candles. The shadows danced across the walls, giving everything an eerie feel. That's when he had an idea. "If this is some kind of Halloween prank, you got me," he said, his voice wavering slightly. He walked into one of the closets and hid in there for a while, listening out for Abby and placing on the Halloween costume he bought. He kneeled down and opened the air vent in the closet, climbing through it.

Abby pulled the closet door open, screaming to scare Owen, but...he wasn't in there. "...Huh?" Abby's grin faded into confusion as she stared at the empty closet, her voice trailing off. "What the...?" She glanced around the room, trying to figure out where Owen could have disappeared to. There was no way he could have slipped past her without her hearing it. The flickering light of the jack-o-lanterns made the shadows dance more wildly, casting eerie shapes across the walls, but no sign of Owen. She turned and scanned the hallway, her brows furrowing in frustration. "Alright, Owen, very funny!" she called out, her voice a mix of amusement and annoyance. "Where'd you go, huh?"

Owen, who exited the vent a bit earlier, began to creep up on Abby, quiet as a mouse, wearing his costume- a classic vampire cape with a collar popped high, a plastic mask that resembled a grinning skull with fangs covering his face. Abby was still muttering to herself, peeking around corners, when Owen lunged forward with a dramatic flourish of his cape. "BOO!" Abby jumped, letting out a yelp, then whirled around with wide eyes. When she saw Owen standing there in his costume, she smacked his arm playfully, her face breaking into a grin. "Owen, you jerk! You nearly gave me a heart attack!" Owen couldn't stop laughing, pulling off the mask to reveal his triumphant smile. "You should've seen your face, Abby! You thought you had me, but I got you instead!" Abby rolled her eyes but couldn't hold back a laugh. "Alright, alright, you win this round," she admitted, ruffling his cape. "But you just wait until tomorrow—I'm going to get you back so good." Owen stood there for a second before remembering. "Oh right, I wanted to ask you something, I saw this commercial for Fallfest earlier while you were sleeping." Owen began. Abby's eyes widened as she smiled, almost immediately knowing what he was suggesting. "Do you want to go to Fallfest tomorrow night...?" Abby asked. Owen grinned at Abby's excitement, adjusting the collar of his vampire cape. "Yeah, I thought it might be fun to check out—especially after seeing that over-the-top commercial. It's supposed to be the biggest one they've done yet, with haunted houses, spooky corn mazes, and that whole Frankenstein thing. And you know I can't resist a good scare... or scaring you!" Abby chuckled before her face turned into a grin. "Wanna bet?" Abby asked. Owen thought about it for a second before grinning. "What do you have in mind..?" Owen asked. Abby's grin grew even wider, her eyes glinting mischievously in the flickering light. "Alright, here's the bet: Whoever gets scared the most at Fallfest tomorrow has to do all the dishes for a week. Deal?" She extended her hand to Owen, clearly confident that she had the upper hand. Owen raised an eyebrow, considering the challenge. He smirked, knowing he loved a good scare, but also aware of how easily he could be startled when caught off guard. "Oh, you're on," he said, shaking her hand with a firm grip. "But don't be too disappointed when you're the one scrubbing plates, because I'm going to win this bet." Abby chuckled. "We'll see about that, my love..we will see.."