The Lesson Begin

Chapter 5

The next few days blurred together for Emily. Every morning, she awoke in the grand but cold chambers of the castle, and every morning, Lucien would take her deeper into the kingdom of Hell. She quickly learned that Lucien's definition of "lessons" was unlike anything she could have expected. It wasn't just about learning how to rule—he was teaching her the very essence of Hell's magic, and how to harness it.

Emily's first lesson came as a shock.

She stood in a wide courtyard behind the castle, the sky above them bleeding with streaks of red and orange as flames flickered in the distance. Lucien stood before her, his expression stern, though his eyes watched her with a sharpness that made her uneasy.

"To rule here," he said, "you must first understand the power that lies beneath the surface of this world. Hell is not just a place of torment—it is a living, breathing entity. And you, as its queen, must learn to command it."

Emily frowned. "But I don't want to rule. I don't want this power."

Lucien's gaze darkened slightly. "It doesn't matter what you want, Emily. This is the path you chose when you made the deal. And if you don't learn to control it, this power will consume you."

Emily swallowed hard, fear curling in her stomach. She had already felt the pull of this place—its dark energy seeping into her with every passing day. She could feel it changing her, no matter how hard she tried to resist.

"What do I have to do?" she asked, her voice quieter now, unsure.

Lucien stepped closer, his presence as overwhelming as ever. "Hell responds to emotion," he said, his voice low. "Anger, fear, desire. These emotions fuel the magic here. You must learn to channel them."

Emily glanced down at her hands, feeling a flicker of heat beneath her skin. She had noticed it before—strange bursts of energy, like fire trying to break free. But she didn't understand it, and she certainly didn't know how to control it.

Lucien's voice softened, just a touch. "Close your eyes," he instructed.

Hesitantly, Emily did as he said, closing her eyes and trying to block out the heat and noise around her. Her heart raced, and her mind buzzed with fear, but she forced herself to focus.

"Breathe," Lucien's voice came again, closer now. "Feel the power beneath the surface. It's already inside you. All you have to do is let it out."

Emily took a deep breath, her hands trembling slightly. As she focused, she began to feel it—a warmth deep within her, growing stronger. It wasn't just the heat of Hell—it was something else, something that belonged to her. A power that had been lying dormant, waiting to be awakened.

"Now," Lucien's voice was almost a whisper, "let it go."

Emily opened her eyes just as a surge of energy erupted from her hands. Flames shot out, wild and uncontrollable, scorching the ground in front of her. She gasped, stumbling back as the heat overwhelmed her senses. The power was raw, untamed, and terrifying.

Lucien stepped forward, his eyes gleaming with approval. "Good. But you must control it. Channel your emotions—don't let them control you."

Emily's heart pounded as she stared at the blackened ground, still smoking from the flames. She had felt it—the rush of power, the thrill of something so primal—but it also scared her. If she wasn't careful, that power could destroy her.

"How am I supposed to control something like that?" she asked, her voice shaky.

Lucien's gaze softened, and for the first time, he seemed almost gentle. "It will take time. But you're stronger than you realize, Emily. You made a deal with the King of Hell and survived. That means something."

Emily wasn't so sure. She had survived, yes, but at what cost? Her sister was alive, but Emily had traded her life for it. And now, she was here, learning to control powers she didn't want, in a kingdom that didn't feel like hers.

Lucien stepped closer, his voice low. "The more you resist, the harder it will be. You are part of this realm now, whether you like it or not. You need to accept that."

Emily's jaw tightened. She hated that he was right. Every part of her wanted to reject this, to fight against the chains that bound her to Hell. But she couldn't escape the truth. This was her reality now, and if she was going to survive, she needed to adapt.

"What if I can't?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper. "What if I can't control it?"

Lucien's eyes darkened slightly. "Then it will control you."

The weight of his words settled heavily on her chest. She had seen what happened to souls that couldn't handle the torment of Hell—their suffering was endless, their existence nothing more than a twisted nightmare. She didn't want that to be her fate.

Taking a deep breath, Emily nodded. "I'll try."

Lucien's lips curved into a faint smile. "Good. We'll continue tomorrow."

As he turned to leave, Emily felt a strange mix of emotions—fear, anger, and something else she couldn't quite place. There was a part of her that still hated Lucien, resented him for bringing her here. But there was another part, a small part, that felt something different.

Curiosity. Maybe even attraction.

Shaking her head, Emily pushed the thought aside. She couldn't afford to be distracted. Not here. Not now.

As the day faded and the red skies turned darker, Emily returned to her chambers, her body exhausted from the lesson. But her mind was still racing. The power inside her was growing, and whether she wanted it or not, she knew she had to learn to control it. If she didn't, she would lose herself to Hell.

But even as she thought about the lessons ahead, one question lingered in her mind:

What was Lucien's true purpose in teaching her all of this? What did he really want from her?