Into the Abyss

Chapter 10

The entrance to the Abyss of Shadows was unlike anything Emily had ever seen. Beyond the cavern where they had narrowly escaped the beast, the air itself seemed to ripple and distort as if reality was unraveling. The ground beneath her feet felt unstable, like she was walking on the edge of a dream, or a nightmare. The Abyss loomed before them, a swirling vortex of shadows and twisted light that beckoned her closer with a sinister pull.

"This is it," the woman said, her voice low and steady. "The Abyss of Shadows. Beyond here, the old ones wait."

Emily swallowed hard, trying to steady her nerves. The air crackled with dark energy, and she could feel the presence of ancient power pressing down on her from all sides. There was no turning back now. She had to go in.

"What will I find inside?" Emily asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

The woman's golden eyes flickered in the dim light. "The old ones are not like anything you've encountered. They are older than Hell itself, beings cast aside when Lucien claimed the throne. They hold the key to your freedom, but they are not easily swayed. You must prove yourself worthy."

"How do I prove myself?" Emily asked, her heart racing.

"You will have to face them," the woman replied. "They will test you, challenge you. And if you fail..." She trailed off, but Emily didn't need her to finish. If she failed, there would be no escape.

The swirling shadows seemed to grow darker, more oppressive, as if they could sense her fear. But Emily squared her shoulders, taking a deep breath. She had faced death and worse in Hell. She had survived Lucien's control, the creatures of the underworld, and the twisted horrors of the palace. She could survive this too.

"I'm ready," she said, though her heart was pounding in her chest.

The woman gave her a small nod and stepped aside, allowing Emily to walk toward the Abyss. The closer she got, the colder the air became, chilling her to the bone. The shadows seemed to wrap around her like a living thing, pulling her into their depths. And then, without warning, she was inside.

The world shifted. One moment, she was standing at the edge of the cavern, and the next, she was in a vast, dark expanse. The ground beneath her was smooth, cold, and endless. There were no walls, no ceiling—just an infinite blackness that stretched out in all directions. It was silent, the kind of silence that pressed against her ears, making her feel as if she was drowning in it.

Emily looked around, but there was no sign of the woman, no sign of the way out. She was completely alone.

"Hello?" she called out, her voice echoing strangely in the emptiness.

For a moment, there was no response, just the oppressive silence. But then, out of the darkness, a voice answered.

"You seek us."

The voice was deep, resonating from all directions, making it impossible to tell where it came from. Emily's heart skipped a beat. The old ones. They were here, watching her.

"Yes," she said, trying to keep her voice steady. "I seek your help. Lucien... he—"

"We know who he is." The voice cut her off, cold and sharp. "And we know what he has done."

Another voice joined the first, this one softer, but no less commanding. "You come to us for power, like so many before you. What makes you any different?"

Emily took a deep breath, steeling herself. "I don't seek power for myself. I seek freedom. Lucien wants to turn me into something I'm not, to control me. I won't let him."

The darkness shifted, and she could feel something moving just beyond her sight. The presence of the old ones was palpable now, pressing against her mind. She could feel their curiosity, their skepticism.

"And what makes you think we will help you?" a third voice asked, this one colder than the others. "You are nothing to us. A mortal who stumbled into Hell and now seeks to escape its grasp. Why should we care?"

Emily's throat tightened, but she forced herself to speak. "Because Lucien is a threat to all of you. He seeks to expand his control beyond Hell, to take over the mortal world. And once he has that, he won't stop. He'll come for you next."

There was a long silence, and for a moment, Emily feared she had said the wrong thing. But then, one of the voices spoke again, slower this time, more contemplative.

"You believe you can stop him?"

Emily hesitated. Could she stop Lucien? She didn't know. But she couldn't let him continue unchecked. "I don't know if I can stop him alone. But with your help, I can try. I know I'm not the only one who wants to see him fall."

The darkness rippled, and she could feel the old ones considering her words. Their presence was heavy, like a storm waiting to break, and Emily could sense their power, ancient and immense.

"You speak of rebellion," one of the voices said, its tone sharp. "A dangerous path, especially for one so weak."

Emily's heart pounded, but she stood her ground. "I may be weak now, but I'm not without potential. I've already begun to learn the power that exists within me, and with your guidance, I can become strong enough to challenge Lucien."

There was another long pause, and the silence stretched on until it became unbearable. Emily could feel her heart hammering in her chest, each second feeling like an eternity. But then, finally, one of the voices spoke again.

"Very well. We will test you."

Before Emily could react, the ground beneath her shifted. The endless expanse of darkness gave way, and suddenly, she was standing in a vast, desolate landscape. The sky was a swirling mass of black clouds, and the air was thick with ash and smoke. In the distance, towering figures loomed, their forms obscured by the shadows, but their presence undeniable.

"Your first test is simple," the voice said, echoing around her. "Survive."

And then, from the darkness, they came—creatures of shadow and flame, their eyes glowing with malice. They moved toward her with terrifying speed, their snarls echoing through the air.

Emily's heart raced, but she didn't run. Instead, she reached deep within herself, drawing on the power she had only just begun to understand. Her hands tingled with energy, and as the first creature lunged at her, she thrust her hand forward, releasing a burst of power that sent it flying back.

The other creatures hesitated for a moment, but only for a moment. Then they charged again, and Emily found herself fighting for her life.