For Humanity so Loved the World but Children

August 27, 2024
2:23 AM. Incomplete.

Written by Elle Co.

     For ten years, I've been a daughter to an OFW parents— perhaps the only child that they've safeguarded for a decade. A kid's wishful thinking of having a sibling was brought to life. Two Godsent was gifted as an addition to our nuclear family in a foreign country: my B1 & B2. The verity of standing not only as their elder sister but a second mother, taught me the grace of nurturing a child's growth.

     It amplified the paramount importance of the equilibrium between discipline to stringency and love to limitations of how a guardian should be manuevering their upbringing; creating an inclusive space where there is a sense of belongingness in their household sanctuary. After all, championing the principle of extending trust is the foundation of the relationship.

     Those who were fortunate enough blossomed in an environment with guidance, but some rose above the fray, came into one's own, and weathered the rough winds in the streets of Metro Manila alone.

     Profoundly shaped by their strength, in the hopes of being besotted with warmth but nevertheless, persevered in the dark alleys of the city.

     Each step they make leaves a footprint of resiliency and each footprint symbolizes a human's story—not a mere tale to be displayed in the fiction section, but a factual narrative worthy to be read.