Chapter 1: Departure from the Known: A Destiny Awaits

Since the day I was born into this world, it felt like an invisible force was pulling me away from others. I used to think, like most people, that I was just an introvert—someone who preferred solitude over the company of many. I assumed my discomfort around crowds was merely a common trait, a simple aversion to socializing. I often felt like a silent observer in a world bustling with noise and energy, while I was merely a ghost drifting through it.

But over time, I realized it wasn’t just shyness or social anxiety that kept me distant; it was something deeper. It wasn’t that I struggled to connect with others or felt inferior to them—quite the opposite. Deep inside, I harbored a belief that I was different, even superior, to the people around me. With every conversation, every interaction, I found myself silently judging them. I noticed the flaws in their words, the awkwardness in their movements, and the unspoken limitations they carried, making me feel more isolated than ever.

For seventeen years, that belief only grew stronger. My view of people never changed. To me, they all seemed the same—ordinary, flawed, and beneath me. Today, like every other day, I donned my school uniform. I wore my crisp white blouse with a green blazer over it. My skirt, which ended three inches above the knee, matched perfectly with the necktie I wore—a tie adorned with thin golden stripes that seemed to represent something greater. As I adjusted my necktie, I pondered the meaning behind those stripes, as if they held secrets I was yet to uncover.

As usual, I was heading to a school where I never felt I truly belonged, a place where I doubted I’d ever learn anything of real value. Sometimes, I wonder if I think too highly of myself or if I’m genuinely different. I slipped into my black shoes, which had a one-inch heel and golden stripes that mirrored those on my uniform. Finally, I put on my ID lanyard and grabbed my bag, ready to head downstairs. The anticipation was like a wave, cresting just before crashing down, filled with uncertainty.

My name is Laikhine A. Benitez, a freshman in the BSMT program. It’s not exactly a common feeling, but I find myself somewhat excited for my first day as a freshman, despite my usual indifference. Unlike other schools, our uniform hasn’t changed since I was in senior high. The only difference is the addition of a golden stripe to our necktie each time we move up. My necktie now has two golden lines, indicating the two years I completed in senior high, slanted at 100° counterclockwise and another at 80° as a sign that I am a first-year college student, creating a complex cross that’s surprisingly pleasing to the eye.

“Ma! I’m heading to school!” I shouted as I rushed down the stairs, realizing I was running a little late.

“Already?! You haven’t touched your pancakes! You’re leaving so early today,” my mom said, sounding a little surprised. Her voice was a mixture of concern and affection, as it always was, and it warmed my heart.

“We have a welcoming program for freshmen like me. Don’t worry, I’ve got two protein bars with me.” I flashed her a reassuring smile, hoping to ease her worries.

“Alright then. Take care, anak. I love you.”

“Love you, Mom.”

Our school isn’t far—just a few blocks away. Usually, I walk there, taking my time to observe the world around me, the trees swaying gently in the breeze and the sun casting its golden glow on the pavement. But today, because I was running late, I found myself alternating between walking and jogging. My uniform fit perfectly, gliding smoothly over my body as I moved. At 5’8”, the uniform hugged my slim figure in a way that was both flattering and comfortable. One thing I’ve always liked about myself is that I never seem to gain any excess weight. It suits me, given how active I tend to be. As I ran, I reached up and combed my fingers through my hair, which was beginning to dampen with sweat.