Chapter 3: Echoes of Change

I woke up feeling nauseous, and even though I wanted to throw up, I realized my stomach was empty. Slowly, I sat up and noticed that I was no longer in the van. I blinked and looked around, confused. I was now in a strange room, a really huge one. In fact, it seemed twice as big as our entire house.

I was sitting on a queen-sized bed with a soft blanket draped over my legs. The blanket was a nice peach color, and it felt incredibly comfortable. As I glanced around, I noticed that there were three other beds in the room, each neatly made and spaced out evenly. They were all queen-sized beds like mine but had different-colored blankets. The bed farthest from me had a powder blue blanket, the one in the middle was lilac, and the one next to me was pure white. The room looked so perfect, like something out of a fancy hotel.

Each bed had a window behind it, letting in sunlight that made the room feel warm and welcoming. The rays of the sun were soft, filling the room with a bright, calming light. On the other side of the room, there were large wardrobes with glass doors, showing clothes neatly hung inside.

I assumed those clothes belonged to the other people who shared this room with me. There was one wardrobe that was empty, which I guessed was for me.

Hindi naman sa pagiging assuming, pero feeling ko talaga para sa akin iyon. Feeling ko lang ha?

Is this where I’ll stay from now on? I wondered to myself. A door between the wardrobes caught my eye. It was probably the bathroom.

I was still taking in everything when I heard a voice coming from the direction of the bathroom. “This won’t irritate my pussy, right?” the voice asked, shocking me.

I froze, taken aback. Did I hear that right? I thought.

“I guess?” another female voice answered from inside the bathroom, sounding unsure.

“Just rinse it right away and pray,” added a third voice, sounding amused.

There are three of them in the bathroom? I thought, confused. My head was still spinning from everything happening around me.

I started to get up and explore when my foot hit something. Looking down, I saw my suitcase and backpack beside the bed. How did these get here? I wondered. Did someone carry me in here? I had no memory of how I got from the van to this room. Did the driver carry me? Whoever it was, they could have just woken me up.

I didn’t even get the chance to see the outside of the school. How secretive is this place can be?

As I stand there thinking, I heard a door creak open. A girl with shoulder-length hair and thick glasses stepped out. She looked surprised to see me.

“Oh, you’re awake,” she said softly, her tone matching the surprised look on her face.

I stared at her for a moment, still trying to process everything. “Yeah,” I muttered.

“True ba?” another girl’s face appeared next to the first one. She was peeking around the doorway, her long black hair falling down to her waist. Her pale skin made her jet-black hair stand out even more.

“Hi!” she greeted me with a huge smile, her voice full of energy.

“Uhmm, hi?” I said, unsure of how to respond.

“Don’t scare her so much with your face, Faye,” teased a third girl as she walked past them. She was wearing a bathrobe, and her hair was wrapped up in a towel. She headed to the farthest bed, and as she removed the towel, her long, grayish hair tumbled down to her chest. She smiled at me. “What brand of feminine wash do you use?” she asked out of the blue.

What’s with these girls? I thought, completely taken aback.

“I’m kidding,” she added with a grin. “I’m Lexi, by the way.” She gave me a playful wink before reaching for a hairdryer.