Signs of Shadow

Chapter 2

The next morning, Emily arrived at work earlier than usual. Despite a restless night, she was determined to shake off yesterday's unsettling experience. She clutched her coffee tightly, as if its warmth could drive away the icy memory of that note.

When she reached her desk, she checked every inch of it, hoping—half-believing—that the note would have vanished like a bad dream. But her desk was as she left it, no sign of the mysterious message. She almost convinced herself it was a joke, maybe an exaggerated "welcome" prank. Yet, deep down, her intuition whispered something darker.

As the day wore on, she found herself glancing over her shoulder more often than she cared to admit. She kept noticing fleeting shadows in her peripheral vision, hearing the faintest clicks and shuffles behind her. But each time she looked, she saw only the usual office routine.

At lunchtime, she met up with Sara, who eagerly showed her the best spots in the building's cafeteria. Emily tried to keep the conversation light, but the note's words lingered in the back of her mind. Could she trust anyone here? Or was someone hiding behind a friendly smile, watching her every move?

"Hey, you seem a bit off today. Everything okay?" Sara asked, giving her a concerned look.

"Oh, yeah," Emily said, forcing a laugh. "Just the first-week jitters, I guess."

"Don't worry, you'll settle in soon. We're all like a family here." Sara gave her a reassuring smile, and for a moment, Emily felt at ease.

But the comfort was short-lived. As she returned to her desk, she noticed something out of place—a picture frame of her younger sister, Maya, was turned face down. Emily hadn't touched it. In fact, she distinctly remembered placing it upright that morning. She lifted the frame, scanning her surroundings, but everyone around her was busy with their own work.

Her hands started to tremble as she adjusted the photo back in place. The familiar chill from the night before crept up her spine. Someone had been at her desk. Someone was trying to get her attention.

Before she could dwell on it, a message popped up on her computer screen. It was an email from an anonymous sender, subject line: "Did you get my message?"

Her stomach tightened. She hesitated before opening it, scanning the subject line once more. The email was brief and cryptic: "I know more than you think."

Emily's pulse quickened. Her gaze darted around the office, and this time she was certain—a shadow was watching her, lurking just beyond her sight. The laughter of coworkers in the distance felt surreal, out of place against the dread gnawing at her.

Forcing herself to stay calm, she closed the email and clicked around her screen, hoping to bury the fear beneath a mountain of work. But every creak of a chair, every footstep that passed her desk, kept her on edge. She could feel it—eyes on her, tracking her movements. It was like a game, only she didn't know the rules, and whoever was watching was winning.

By the time the day ended, her nerves were frayed. She didn't wait for anyone to say goodbye; she grabbed her bag and rushed to the exit. But as she reached the main lobby, her phone vibrated in her hand. She glanced down to see a text from an unknown number:

"See you tomorrow, Emily."

Her heart raced. She pushed through the doors, her mind spinning with questions. Who was doing this, and why?