three

As Kara approached the Salvatore Boarding House, a flood of memories from 1864 washed over her. She hadn't set foot here in over a century, yet everything felt oddly familiar—the grand entry, the ivy-covered facade, the lingering scent of old wood and history.

She knocked lightly on the heavy oak door. After a moment, it creaked open, and there he was—Stefan Salvatore. The same boyish face, though perhaps a touch sharper with time, his expression unreadable as he stared at her, shock flickering in his eyes.

"Kara," he murmured, his voice layered with disbelief. "It's... really you."

A faint, almost melancholic smile played on her lips as she took him in. "Hello, Stefan," she replied softly, the centuries between them shrinking in an instant. "You haven't changed a bit."

Stefan closed the door behind her as she stepped inside. "Neither have you. I didn't think..." He trailed off, still looking at her as if he were seeing a ghost.

She tilted her head slightly. "Neither did I. Mystic Falls has a funny way of calling us back, doesn't it?"

He gave a half-hearted smile, glancing down. "More than you'd think."

They shared a quiet moment, both of them remembering their last encounter in 1864. Back then, things had been simpler—or at least, it had felt that way.

Mystic Falls, 1864

The air was thick with the warmth of summer in Mystic Falls, 1864, the kind of heat that settled in lazy waves over the town. Kara walked along the edge of the town square, her dress flowing behind her as she admired the lively scene of townsfolk preparing for that evening's Founder's Day festivities. Laughter and music filled the air, and she could feel the pulse of life and excitement all around.

She'd been staying in town for a few months, laying low and mingling among humans in a way that was almost second nature to her. Mystic Falls had been a welcome respite, a chance to escape from the chaos of her usual life. And it was here that she'd met Stefan Salvatore.

"Kara!" A voice called out, and she turned to see Stefan approaching, his easy smile lighting up his face. There was a gentleness about him, a quiet nature that had drawn her in right away. 

"Stefan," she greeted, her own smile mirroring his. "I was beginning to think you'd forgotten about me."

He chuckled, glancing around the square as he came to her side. "Impossible. I had to get away from Damon, though; he's already planning how to make an impression tonight."

"Oh, let me guess." She tilted her head, pretending to think. "Something... scandalous?"

Stefan rolled his eyes. "More or less. But let's not give him all the attention tonight." He gestured toward a path leading away from the square. "Shall we take a walk?"

They strolled together, moving away from the lively crowd to a quieter, shaded area beneath the oak trees. There, conversation flowed easily, the weight of their respective lives briefly forgotten in each other's presence. Kara found herself laughing, a rare, genuine laugh that surprised even her. 

As Kara and Stefan stood under the oak trees, the warm glow of the fading sun casting soft shadows, another presence drifted into view, slipping from behind the thick foliage like a specter. Katherine Pierce, with her trademark smirk, sauntered over, her eyes gleaming with a mischievous curiosity.

"Well, well," she purred, her gaze shifting between Stefan and Kara. "Look at the two of you, hiding away from all the festivities." Her smile was sly as she walked closer, eyes lingering on Kara. "And I thought I was the only one in town with a taste for... mystery."