five

Later that evening, the weight of the earlier confrontation still lingered in the air, heavy and unresolved. Caroline found herself sitting alone on the porch of the Gilbert house, the cool breeze rustling the leaves around her. The moon hung high above, casting silvery light across Mystic Falls, but it did little to ease the turmoil in her heart.

She replayed her mother's words over and over in her mind. The rejection had cut deep, leaving her feeling more isolated than ever. Despite the laughter and chatter from inside the house, it felt like a world away.

As she sat lost in thought, she heard footsteps approaching. It was Kara, her presence warm and steady, like a beacon in the darkness. "Mind if I join you?" Kara asked gently, taking a seat beside her.

Caroline glanced at her, grateful for the distraction. "Sure," she replied, forcing a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. "Just trying to wrap my head around everything."

Kara nodded, understanding the complexity of what Caroline was feeling. "Your mother is still processing what it means to have a daughter who's a vampire. It's a lot for anyone to take in."

"Yeah, but I thought she'd see past that," Caroline sighed, staring at her hands. "I thought she'd understand that I'm still me."

"She will," Kara assured her. "It's just going to take time. You're strong, and you've been through so much. You've got to give her a chance to catch up."

Caroline leaned back, letting out a frustrated breath. "It's hard to be patient when all I want is for her to accept me."

"I know," Kara replied softly. "But remember, you're not alone in this. You have friends who care about you—people who see you for who you really are. We'll be here for you."

Damon stepped out onto the porch, his usual smirk replaced with a more genuine concern. "How's it going out here?" he asked, glancing between the two of them.

Caroline forced a grin, trying to mask her hurt. "Just girl talk. You know, the usual."

Damon raised an eyebrow, clearly unconvinced but opting to let it slide. "Well, if you need anything, I'm just inside. Just remember, no matter what, you're not a monster."

A small chuckle escaped Caroline's lips, her spirits lifting slightly at Damon's protective words. "Thanks, Damon."

Kara smiled, her eyes bright with reassurance. "We'll face this together. You're a fighter, Caroline, and you've got us in your corner."

Though the road ahead was uncertain, Caroline knew she wasn't alone in her struggles. With time, she hoped to bridge the gap between herself and her mother, but until then, she had her friends to lean on. And that was enough to light the way forward.

If she was being honest, Kara was not used to having friends. Over the centuries, she'd had fleeting alliances, shared secrets with people she would eventually part ways with, and trusted only herself to weather the storms that came her way. But here, in Mystic Falls, things felt... different.

Being around Damon, Stefan, and now Caroline made her realise how solitary her life had truly been. She'd drifted from one place to another, avoiding attachments, choosing distance over vulnerability. But somehow, these people—their fiery resilience, their tangled lives, their willingness to protect one another—had pulled her in, making her feel like she was part of something again. It was both comforting and unsettling.

She looked over at Caroline, who was still watching the stars, her eyes shimmering with quiet pain. For centuries, Kara had thought that caring about anyone would make her weak. Yet, sitting here on this porch, she could feel the weight of Caroline's sadness in her own heart, and it surprised her how deeply she wanted to help.