one

Kara began to settle into the town, the transition from a restless wanderer to a newcomer feeling strangely comforting. Each day brought new discoveries, as she roamed the quaint streets of Mystic Falls, absorbing the atmosphere and letting the town's charm seep into her bones.

She found herself drawn to the local grill, a cozy spot with outdoor seating. It became her refuge, a place to sip on her favourite drink while watching the world go by. The grill bustled with life, filled with the chatter of locals and the laughter of friends. Kara often sat in a corner, her gaze wandering as she listened to snippets of conversation, each exchange pulling her deeper into the fabric of the town.

One afternoon, Kara was sipping on a glass of chardonnay, letting the crisp, fruity notes wash over her senses. The soft chatter of patrons around her blended into a comforting hum as she enjoyed the vibrant atmosphere of the Mystic Grill. The sun streamed through the windows, casting warm light across the wooden tables and creating a cozy ambiance that enveloped her.

As she gazed out the window, lost in thought, her eyes fell on a figure approaching the entrance. A girl with dark hair and striking features entered the Grill, laughter spilling from her lips as she chatted with a group of friends. Kara's heart skipped a beat, and she sat up a little straighter, squinting to get a better look.

It was a face she had seen before. Multiple times. The resemblance was uncanny. She knew this girl. Kara set her glass down, her pulse quickening as she tried to process the moment. Could it really be?

The girl moved with an effortless grace, laughter dancing in her eyes. Kara's breath caught in her throat as she watched the girl interact with her friends, the warmth radiating from her only deepening Kara's confusion. However, this warmth was what made the vampire realise that this must be a new one. A new doppelganger.

The last one Kara knew of was Katherine Pierce, the cunning and enigmatic vampire who had crossed paths with her in 1864, the last time she had visited Mystic Falls. Kara remembered that encounter vividly—Katherine had a way of drawing people in, captivating them with her charm while hiding her true intentions behind a mask of playful deceit.

But this girl, Elena, was different. There was an innocence about her, a genuine kindness that made Kara's heart ache with a mix of longing and nostalgia. It was as if Elena embodied everything Kara had lost—the light and hope that had been extinguished in her life centuries ago.

With every laugh that escaped Elena's lips, Kara felt the weight of memories pressing against her, swirling with emotions she had long buried. She had faced many challenges in her life, yet the idea of confronting another doppelganger felt like stepping into the unknown.

Elena felt eyes on her, an undeniable presence that tugged at her awareness. It was a sensation she had grown accustomed to, especially living in Mystic Falls, where secrets and hidden truths seemed to lurk around every corner. But this feeling was different—one that told her that this woman recognised her. She glanced around the table, her friends animatedly discussing their plans for the weekend, but her gaze was drawn to a figure sitting alone at a nearby booth. The woman had an air of mystery about her, with striking features and an intensity in her gaze that made Elena's heart race.

Kara quickly shifted her gaze away from Elena, inwardly cursing herself for being caught staring. She could tell by the way that the girl looked at her that she knew why she was staring. Kara quickly collected her purse and made a beeline for the door, the eyes of the doppelganger following her as she exited the grill.

-

The next day, Kara returned to the Grill, feeling a mix of anticipation and relief wash over her as she stepped inside. The familiar warmth of the restaurant enveloped her, but this time, she was pleased to see that there was no doppelganger in sight. Instead, the atmosphere buzzed with the sounds of laughter and clinking glasses, and the aroma of grilled food wafted through the air.