Chapter Seven: Coma Black

(A/N: this chapter was so hard to write. I hope it turned out well!)

Brian was ad-libbing and vocalizing as Jeordie plucked out a random tune on his bass.

They had taken to hanging out afterschool, since Jeordie's mom always worked late. Neither of them had spoken about that first night, partly because they didn't know what to say or what they were now, and they didn't want to make anything awkward.

Jeordie also ignored Brian at school completely, which greatly confused Brian, because they were friendly outside of school. But I guess he's ashamed of being friends with a freak like me.

"Hey," called Brian softly.

Jeordie stopped playing. "Yeah?"

"Are you ashamed of being friends with me?"

Jeordie sighed. "It's a lot more complicated than that."

Brian raised an eyebrow. "How so?"

Jeordie ran his hands through his hair. It was getting longer and was harder to straighten, so it was probably time for a haircut.

"Well, to put it simply, I just really don't wanna get bullied again."

"Again? You don't seem like the type to get bullied. You're cute and your sweater is designer."

"Yeah, I know, my mom got it for me, but I hate it. And I hate my hair, and my face, and my shoes, and just... everything!"

"What do you hate about it?"

"It's just so normal. It's not ME, you know? I mean, when I was younger, I wore dresses and platform boots and pink things, and I had dreadlocks, and I wore eyeliner, and I felt really cool and good about myself, but eveyone labled me as a freak, and I got called so many horrible names and they would beat me up because I'm small, and, I felt like a little twig, that they were... about to snap..." Jeordie's eyes watered.

Brian watched this rant with increasing sympathy as the story went on. He knew Jeordie's pain first hand. When he was finished, he pulled him into a tight hug and let him cry into his chest.
Jeordie couldn't believe he had let everything spill so easily. He had just revealed his greatest weakness to a person that could destroy everything... but he felt like he could trust Brian. More than he had ever trusted anyone else... more than he trusted his own mother.

"Well, Twiggy," murmured Brian, "I'll never let you snap. While you're with me, you are safe."

Brian really believed this. Then and there, he vowed to protect Jeordie with tooth and nail.

Jeordie sniffled. "You would do that for me?" This was unexpected, but not unwelcome.

"Yes."

"But... why?"

"Because...!" Brian started out strong, and then faltered.

"Because I..." he gulped.

"...say it," Jeordie whispered.

"Because I love you."

Jeordie blushed something fierce. He never thought he would hear those words.

"I-love-you-too," he mumbled quickly, burying his face into Brian's chest.

Brian chuckled and cradled his head.

"I bet you would look great with dreadlocks."