Chapter 2: Noticing

Molly hesitated, just for a second, but Holmes noticed and knew immediately that something was wrong with his pathologist. 

"Molly, what's happened?" He asked.

"Oh, it's nothing really, Sherlock," said Molly. She sighed, then said; "Tom cheated on me."

Hearing this Holmes' grasp on the mobile tightened. "Molly are you sure? I mean, how do you know?"

Molly took a deep cleansing breath, then said; "Because Sherlock, I caught him snogging my best friend Amy, on my sofa last night." She slowly released a breath before continuing. "And do you know the worst part is?" She asked Holmes.

"No," Holmes replied. "What was it?" 

"The stupid berk didn't even have the courage to apologize! He kept saying that I was never around, and when I was my attention was on my work and helping you."  Molly informed her friend.

Holmes rolled his eyes and turned to look at Davidson who mouthed: "Landing soon."  The detective nodded and  said to the woman on the other line.

"Molly, I have to say  "Goodbye" now.  We're landing soon."

"Okay, Sherlock. Have a nice visit with your cousin." She tells him.

"I will." He promises. "And Molly? I wish you were here."

"Me too, Sherlock, me too," said Molly.

****

The ride to the airport was a quiet one. In fact, it was so quiet that Joan was beginning to get worried.  Usually Sherlock liked to banter with their cabbie on the way to wherever it was they were going. Tonight that wasn't the case, and that made the former sober companion a little nervous.

"Are you okay, Sherlock?" 

"Of course, Watson," Sherlock replied. "Why do you ask?"

"It's just that you seem kinda passive about seeing your cousin. Why is that?" Joan asked.

Sherlock sighed. "I am not sure if my father made you aware of the fact, that I am not the only one in my family who has issues with drugs." 

"I don't understand," said Joan. "Are you trying to tell me, that you have some heredity disposition towards drugs?"

"In a manner of speaking," Sherlock replied. "Yes."

When Joan began to speak her partner held up his hand. "Watson, as much as I would like to continue this discussion, it would have to wait because my cousin is coming this way. " 

"Which one is he?" Joan asked her companion. Sherlock took out his smartphone, went to his photos and scrolled down for a second before he handed Joan the phone and said:  "Here he is."

Joan looked at the picture and saw a man with light blue eyes, curly black hair, and from what she observed in the photo that he was at least six feet tall.

"Well Watson, what do you think? Could you find Scott in this crowd?" Holmes asked.

"I think so Sherlock. After all how many people wear a trench coat nearly all year long?" Joan asked sarcastically.

"It's not that unusual to wear a trench coat, if you live in England, Watson. The country does have a cooler climate after all." Holmes replied with a smirk.