Chapter 5

"One day, we'll be like mom and dad…" Spencer promised Six year old Tiffany. The child smiled happily.

"You and me?"

"Does that make you happy?" Spencer asked. Tiffany smiled and snuggled into Spencer's chest. "I'll take that as a yes." Spencer chuckled.

Tiffany sat with her mother in the small closet. Blood dripped down her mother's body. Horror had widened Tiffany's eyes. Before she could call for her mother, Spencer opened the door and Tiffany fell unconscious.

Spencer scooped Tiffany up into his arms. Pain and anger ran circles in his veins. How could they do this to him…to her?

"I love you…always." He whispered as he took off into the night.

The familiar scene of blood on the snow greeted her. Before the dreams faded to a shrilling noise.

Tiffany jumped from her bed, startled. She turned in very direction to look for the noise. Standing at the side of her bed was Sunny, in her hand a whistle.

"Wake up, you're going to be late for class!" Tiffany smiled at her friend and pulled herself from bed. "I'm glad your sleeping again…" Sunny whispered. "And not disappearing from the room before I wake up…" She cut her friend a vicious glare. Tiffany rubbed the back of her neck sheepishly. Sunny smiled and turned toward the door. "Hurry!" She sang.

Tiffany spend her day attempting to avoid Andrew, whom made it surprisingly easy. He was absent in classes and didn't show up for herding the Day Class girls or patrols. In fact, he seemed to disappear.

Growing worried, Tiffany checked his room, the guest room at the Headmaster's house, the horse stalls, even went and asked one of the Night Class members if they'd seen him. No results each time. Tiffany sighed and sank onto the fountain.

"Are you that angry with me?" She questioned the night.

Andrew sat panting in the cell. His blood lust controlled him. Spencer leaned against the wall, staring at Andrew . The emotional strain of what Andrew believe to be losing Tiffany had pushed him to the breaking point. His will could no longer hold.

"Andrew." Spencer spoke. Red eyes turned upward to meet his. They held no hatred only scorching hunger. Sadness washed through Spencer. Not for himself, but for Tiffany. She, in the dark, had caused this willful man to lower himself. "Why are you giving up?" He questioned. "Why not fight for her? You love her just as I do, don't you?"

"Tiffany…" Andrew choked painfully. Spencer smiled. He had reached him.

The girl that owned the name leaned back onto the tree. Her feet dangled from the side of the branch. Tiffany had expected that with the momentary disappearance of their leader, the vampires from the Night Class would grow bold and restless. However, they were staying, for the time being, firmly inside the walls of the Night Dorm.

Tiffany briefly wondered as she glanced toward the night stars just how frightening Spencer really was. Fear had always touched her when she was around him. A sense of powerful longing seemed to overcome it, but the feeling was still there nevertheless.

"I have no reason to fear him…" Tiffany whispered, "yet a small part of me…"

Tiffany sat up straight and jumped from the tree. Someone had came out of the Night Dorm. Automatically, she drew her weapon. Tiffany closed her eyes. The power of the weapon pulsed violently in her head. Demanding it be used. Tiffany could feel the presence coming closer now. She quickly did as the weapon commanded-despite Andrew's constant demands to ignore it.

Much to her surprise and the vampire approaching, the weapon split open. Two long blades revealed themselves from each end. Quickly shaking the surprise, Tiffany slid into stance. The vampire was about to be on top of her.

Sensing the danger, the vampire stopped just at the tree line.