Chapter 3

-The Next Day; Sydney-

Sydney was still asleep when Valerie walked into her room. "Sydney" she called out, but Sydney didn't wake up.

"Come on Sydney, wake up" she said, shaking the red-head.

Sydney moved, grumbling, burying her face into her pillow.

"Seriously Syd, we gotta get going" Valerie insisted.

Sydney let out a groan, then she sat up, her red hair messy, her green eyes bright, her body covered by her blanket. She then sighed, obviously upset that she was still around.

"Thank you, now get up and dressed before your brother wakes up" Valerie told her, crossing over to the tattered couch in the corner of Sydney's room, looking through her phone.

Sydney sighed, then got up, wincing as she walked, and searched through her few clothes she owned.

"Why are you limping?" Valerie asked, concerned

"Um... I sprained my ankle" she lied.

"Uh-huh" Valerie responded, suspicious,

Sydney was about to pull on her jeans when Valerie noticed something else, "what are those on your wrists and thighs?" She asked.

"Huh?" Sydney asked, confused, looking down, seeing the lacerations on her thighs. She winced as she remembered how she got them. "I uh..." She was gonna lie when she realized there was no use in lying, so she sighed, "I came home late the other night and uh... Jay found me and he... he had a knife and used it on me" she said, her breathing shaky, her eyes wide with fear and pain of the memory. "Then I um... Cut myself last night" she added softly.

"He what?!"

"Shh, he'll hear you. I don't want you to get hurt either" Sydney warned, watching the door.

"Sorry"

Sydney sighed,

"wait, then why were you wincing just now?" Valerie asked.

Sydney looked away, then sat heavily on her bed, putting her face in her hands, "Jay... He raped me last night" she said.

"Wait, he did -what-?! Ugh! I'll kill him!" Valerie yelled, standing up.

"No, Val, don't do anything" Sydney pleaded.

"I'm not just gonna sit here and let my best friend be hurt and tormented by her own brother" Valerie insisted.

"Please, Val, don't. I don't want you to get hurt" Sydney practically begged,

Valerie sighed, "fine" she said, sitting back down, grumbling to herself.

Sydney finished, then grabbed her phone and looked at Valerie, "ready" she said, then they both snuck out and took off in Valerie's car.

"I just don't know why you won't come live with us, we'll help you, you know my parents love you, right?" Valerie asked.

"I can't, Val, i already told you. It doesn't matter how nice a family is, my step-parents will try to find a way to drag me back home, even if it means hurting others and i can't put your family in risk" Sydney explained.

Valerie sighed, "and you can't move out either, right?"

Sydney shook her head, "no. I can't. They'll find me and not only hurt me, but i think they'd go as far as killing me"

"I'm sorry, Syd, i wish i could help" Valerie said,

"I know, I wish you could too, but i got stuck with the worst life ever"