Chapter 16

"I can't just go over and tell him I'm sorry. He's always the one to apologize." I tell Logan over the phone. It's been three days since I spoke to Kent. He didn't work at Starbucks anymore, he didn't need to. So I never saw him at work, I only saw him when he'd sit on his porch at night, rocking in the chair.

"Well you were kinda wrong this time Paige, you looked through his personal things." Logan says matter-of-factly. She's right, there could've been something in there that Kent didn't want me to see. I hadn't checked my savings account to see if he cut off my allowance. I really needed it now.

He adds in my allowance every Monday, but I still lacked the courage to ask him our arrangement was still on. I lacked the courage to look online and see when the last deposit was.

"You're right, I am wrong this time. But I have no idea what to say." I think out loud. I keep my eyes fixed on my laptop screen, dying to type in the password to my savings account.

"Sucks for you, we all make mistakes. So, what you're gonna do is swallow your pride and go next door. Okay?" Logan's voice is serious and determined. A moving blur outside of my window distracts me. I don't have my contacts in and I can't see clearly. I pat my nightstand to find my glasses.

Upon further investigation, I see Kent with some girl who I've never seen before. Kent is pointing up at the sky and they're laughing, making me insanely jealous.

"Paige? Are you there?" Logan's voice startles me.

"Yeah, I'm here. Kent is outside with some bitch." I tell Logan, glaring at whoever this girl is. Logan laughs.

"You don't get to play jealous girlfriend. You're not his girlfriend." Logan laugh.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever you say." I open my blinds to get a better view. This seems too good to be true, Kent said he wasn't into blonde's. Which is why he put my mother to the side.

"Paige, promise me you won't go outside." Logan whines.

"I promise." I tell her, still investigating.

"Well in that case, bye! Gary wants me to watch Star Wars with him." Logan hangs up. And with that, my promise is broken. Without thinking, I find myself standing next to Kent and his new friend.

"Paige-" Kent's eyes widen. I smile at him normally, then cut my eyes at his new friend.

"Can we talk?" I whisper to Kent. His friend rocks back and forth on her tennis shoes and tugs on her high cut shorts.

"Not right now Paige, later? I'll see you later." Kent says as if he's trying to get me away from him.

"You're Paige! Oh, Kent has told me so much about you!" the girl's voice is high pitched and has an annoying nasal quality.

"Paige, this is Natalia. Natalia this is Paige." Kent explains. Natalia smiles widely and flips her hair over her shoulder.

"I hope you enjoy-" Natalia begins.

"The rest of your day!" Kent speaks over her and points back to my house, in an attempt to push me away.

"No, Kent. This is important." I shoot daggers at Natalia who continues smiling.

"Oh no, that's okay! I was just leaving. You know what to do, right?" Natalia points at Kent. He nods abruptly. His cough suggests that Natalia leaves.

"Thank you, Natalia." Kent, waves as Natalia opens the door to her red car.

"I hope to see you again, for a more formal affair?" Natalia winks at Kent, driving me crazy.

"Maybe." Kent smirks as Natalia drives away. His smirk fades as he turns to me.

"Who's she?" I demand. The moment I ask I wish I'd asked in a different tone. I guess that the only reason I came out here was to make sure Kent was okay. He's too nice and sentimental to hang out with a girl who might hurt him. Or maybe I came to be nosey because I don't wanna miss out on any parts of Kent's life since my own is too awful.

"Does it matter, Paige? You ruined it. Again." Kent walks away, not giving me a chance to answer him. Great, now I look like an idiot. Standing here alone on someone else's grass. My phone rings in my pocket.

"Hello?" I groan.

"Go inside now, Paige." Logan's voice is predictably angry at me for breaking the promise.

"Inside? Pshhh, I'm already there." the sarcasm in my voice is evident. Logan hangs up, telling me indirectly to actually go inside. The walk up the porch stairs is the longest walk I've ever taken. It feels like I should apologize to Kent this time. So that's what I decide to do, his porch seems intimidating. But I ring the doorbell anyway.

"What is it?" Kent grumbles. His hair is unusually messy, as if he can't stop running his fingers through it like her does when he's stressed or thinking deeply.

"I j-just," I take a deep breath and swallow my pride. "I wanted to apologize for looking through your personal things and I really shouldn't have done that because it was disrespectful and you've been really good-" I ramble on, not controlling my hand gestures.

"Paige, calm down." Kent grabs my hands. I slump down in embarrassment. Kent smirks at my actions.

"Why are you smiling right now?" I ask Kent, wishing he'd just say that he accepted my apology.

"Because I have a surprise for you." Kent laughs and drags me by the hand into the backyard which I'd never seen. I smile at the Christmas lights draped around the patio and the softly bubbling fountain in the center of the large yard.

"Stay here and close your eyes." Kent lets go of my hand and walks away. As soon as I crack my eyelids I hear Kent's voice.

"No peeking, Paige!" Kent laughs.

"I'm not peeking!" I answer, keeping my eyes shut. Kent nudges my arm.

"Okay, open your eyes!" Kent says over a crackling sound. A series of fireworks explode, bursting in mid air to spell: "I'm sorry Paige."

"Oh my god Kent. You didn't have to do this." I laugh and envelope him in a hug.

"I did, because I'm sorry for getting upset with you." Kent breathes into my hair. Part of me feels guilty, but the other part feels thrilled to have my name spelled in fireworks.

"No, it was my fault. I shouldn't have come outside today either. Your other relationships aren't any of my business." I admit apprehensively.

"You realize that Natalia works for the firework company, right?" Kent laughs, releasing our hug.

"Seriously? I feel sick." I slap my forehead.