Chapter 4

"So, what do you do for a living, Kent?" my mother asks with a flirtatious glint in her eyes. The flirting has continued since he walked through the front door. As to how he hasn't noticed is beyond me.

"Um- I work at Starbucks," he says looking away from my mother's eyes. I guffaw. Everyone at the table snaps their heads towards me and just stares.

"Starbucks?" I ask, still laughing. My hand covers my mouth, but I can't help it.

He doesn't seemed dazed by my rudeness, and then only encourages me. "Yes. That is what I said," he replies, scooting closer to me.

"Well you'll have to get me a free coffee someday, Kent." my mother says suggestively. Kent raises his eyebrows as if he's surprised.

"Susan. You're embarrassing Paige. This is her guest." my father says, shoveling in salad. I shake my head. Kent averts his gaze from me and stares down into his plate. I drop my smile and return to my plate.

"Oh no Ron, Kent is my guest." my mother shoots back. If only Jasper were here instead of out partying.

"He's the family guest." my father says, slightly annoyed with my mother. Kent isn't that great, so it's hard to understand why they're fighting over him.

"Kent is my guest!" I slam my fists down onto the table. Everyone's eyes drift into me. I look away, not sure why I just claimed Kent as my guest.

"The salmon was delicious Susan, but I have to go. My pager is going off." my father laughs. Of course, he has to leave again. My mother stands up to follow my father out.

"You're welcome to stay as long as you want Kent. Make yourself at home." my mother winks. Kent nods to her.

"Thank you for having me, Mrs. Aberdeen." he says politely. My mother rolls her eyes and I know what she'll say next.

"Oh please Kent. Call me Susan." she says, batting her black coated eyelashes. He seems to still not notice that she's 48, married with two children, and flirting with her.

"Like I said Kent, make yourself at home." my mother says at last, leaving to follow my father. Kent stands up and walks into the kitchen, raking his plate into the trash can.

"Don't stay for long, I have work tomorrow." I warn him before going upstairs and into my room. I feel bad for laughing at Kent. My job at Barnes & Noble isn't much better than his at Starbucks. I laugh when I realize that Starbucks is inside of Barnes & Noble.

While my job is still on my mind, I remember that I have to bring my best friend, Logan, the vase for her new apartment. I glance over at the clear glass vase and grab it to take it downstairs, knowing I'll forget it if I don't.

"What's that?" Kent's voice surprises me, causing me to spin around. The vase clashes into his face, creating a devastating shattering noise and sending blood onto the pink blouse my mother forced me to wear. Kent brings his hand to his eyebrow, feeling the gash tenderly.

"Don't scare me like that!" I say, unsure of how to apologize.

"That's all you have to say after cutting my eyebrow? I thought you were different Paige." Kent says, exhaling slowly. I feel a pang of guilt in my chest as soon as he starts walking away from me.

"Wait Kent!" he turns around, still covering his eyebrow.

"Yes Paige?" his voice is impatient.

"Let me clean your cut, you don't want it to become infected."

"I think I can do it myself. Thank you." Kent says. At this point I feel horrible about how I've been treating him within the short time we've known each other.

"But you're my guest." I plead. He smiles softly.

"You mean that?" he asks as if he's surprised.

"Come with me." I say, leading him into my bathroom. I pat the counter next to my sink for him to sit there.

"Try not to hurt me, okay?" he says in a baby voice. I laugh.

"Where does it hurt?" I ask sarcastically. I rest my hands on his khaki clad thighs and look into his slashed eyebrow.

"I'm not sure nurse." he cups my chin in his rather large hands. His cool hands cause my skin to flame instantly. I slip away from his grasp and reach into the medicine cabinet for a cotton ball and alcohol.

"It'll sting a little." I say before pressing the wet cotton onto his wound. He winces slightly before releasing the tension in his shoulders.

"You must be a pre-med student." Kent says.

"I'm actually a business major, I want to be a real estate agent." I tell him.

"Interesting."

"Almost done."

"Thank you Paige." he says, hopping down from the granite countertop.

"I'm not done, hence why I said almost. I have to bandage it stupid." I say, instantly regretting the "stupid" part. Instead of being offended, he smirks suggestively and waits until I bandage his wound.

"Now you're gonna have to bandage my heart, Paige." he says before pecking my cheek. My skin flames again and goosebumps erode my skin.

"What?"

"You don't actually have to bandage my heart, but this cut is pretty deep and hurts a lot." Kent pouts. I grab the broom from my closet and bend over to collect the glass chunks.

"And your point is?" I ask as I begin sweeping the glass from the floor. He squats to my level.

"You're gonna have to make it up to me Paige."
___________________
"I'm not pretending to be your girlfriend when you meet your parents for dinner!" I nearly scream. Kent holds his hands up as if to surrender.

"Paige. I'll have to go back to Sweden if you don't do this for me." he pleads. So he only came here to find a "bride"? Typical movie plot. But I'm not the only girl in the United States.

"Look, I'm not your toy Kent. I can't just pretend to be something I'm not and then never talk to you again." I protest, remembering my last relationship.

"Paige, I really need you to do this. Just once or twice. Then we can just be friends. All I need is a friend." his blue eyes force me to give in.

"What do I get out of this?" I ask, becoming interested.

"Let's say I give you a small allowance, maybe a few thousand dollars for yourself?" Kent proposes. My eyes light up at the thought. I could add this money to my trust fund that I'll be able to open next year when I graduate.

"We'll do a little for every activity we do together maybe?" Kent paces the room.

"You have a deal. When's dinner?" I ask abruptly.

"Saturday night at The Paragon."

"The Paragon?!" I feel my chest cave in. The Paragon is an extremely expensive restaurant and I have one day to find something to wear.

"Don't worry, I'll have my father send us a driver and deliver you a dress." he says.

"What? They're only visiting." I sat nonchalantly. Kent raises his eyebrows playfully.

"Well.."

"What does your father do anyway?" I ask, plopping down onto my bed.

"He's um- a businessman. He owns this place in Sweden. A lot of places actually."

"Great." I say sarcastically. I really need to work on my social skills.

"I'll see you Saturday at eight."