Chapter 6

Chapter 6

With Maggie's and Carolyn's help Adam had his wounds dressed and was being properly pampered by the attention of both women. "Is Vicki ok?"

Adam looked into Carolyn's bright blue eyes and felt himself drowning in their depths. "Thank you Carolyn." He reached to take her hand and found his over powered her tiny hands.

She smiled and gently pulled her hand from his. "You are welcome Adam. Now, Vicki wants you to rest. She said you fought really hard with that thing that got away."

Adam shook his head. "Vicki made it disappear."

Carolyn knew he was a special needs person with limited comprehension so she accepted his description of what had occurred in the bathroom when he went to save her sister.

"Yes, well she wants you to rest." She helped guide him to his bed, and encouraged him to lie down. Like a confused child, Adam lay on the bed and allowed Carolyn to cover him. "Now rest we have a lot happening to day and you will have a lot of new people to meet."

Adam smiled and it changed the overall look of his poor scared face. "Thank you Carolyn." She nodded, smiled, patted his shoulder and moved to the door. He watched her go; he rolled over and smiled, she made him feel special. Adam closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep.

Vicki was feeling her struggle with the demon. Her body was bruised and she hurt from head to toe. Moving gingerly she sat on the edge of her bed. Using care, she slid her foot into her shoes and stood. "Now, to make sure that Cook has everything ready for an early lunch."

She was anxiously awaiting the arrival of her husband and wanted everything perfect for them. Moving with care she made her way to the stairs and paused, the room was filling with that odd static feel she had experienced before. "Hello?"

Her call was soft and her look inquisitive to her surroundings. "Hello to you too." Carolyn laughed lightly approaching her sister. "Who were you looking for just now?" Carolyn looked around the landing.

"I guess I heard you and did not see you. What are your plans this morning?" Carolyn fell into step next to her sister moving down the stairs to the foyer.

"I thought I would go to Collinwood, check on things there have Sandy clean moms and dad's room and have it ready for their return and I am sure she will want the family together for dinner, the thing is at which house."

Vicki shook her head. "Why not have it here, I am sure Cook can prepare a nice meal for everyone and we all will then be reunited under one roof."

Carolyn thought a moment, "True I just hope they are not too tired from their honeymoon to want to come here for dinner."

Vicki had not thought about that and nodded, "I forgot how tired Barnabas and I were when we got back from our honeymoon. Do you want me to ask Cook to come over and help Mrs. Johnson."

Carolyn pursed her lips and walked to the drawing room. "I suppose so, do you think she will mind?"

Vicki shook her head. "No, I am sure she will be delighted to help out."

Vicki stood by the front bay window and anxiously watched the drive; she could see the narrow expanse of the driveway past the huge oak tree that obscured her view to the gated entrance to her home. She loved that tree; it provided shade in the summer and a wind block in the winter. She had visualized her children playing in that tree after she and Barnabas had married.

Now it blocked her view. Then she saw it, a sliver of black and then the Bentley was moving down the driveway. Excitement flooded her and she made a dash for the front door throwing it open just as Barnabas bounded up the steps to sweep his wife up and swing her around. "Vicki, my love, my most precious darling love."