Why Not?

Phil turns around with tear filled eyes as he watches the break lights of, his now ex, boyfriend Travis' car become smaller and smaller in the distance. 

He angrily unties his bow tie and throws it on the ground in defeat. Tonight was supposed to be the night. This was the night that he was going to show his friends that he wasn't crazy, that he really did have a boyfriend. Travis' stinging words stuck in his mind like a bad dream. 

"Phil I just can't do this anymore, we're both going off to Uni in a few months. I don't want to be held down the summer of my senior year, you understand right?"

Phil sat on the edge of the pavement, wiped his eyes, and put his head in his hands. "Mate,"

Someone appeared next to Phil. He was tall and wore a black suit with a standard black tie. "Mate you okay?"

Phil shook his head. "No, no I'm not," The guy took a seat next to him. He put a hand on Phil's shoulder. 

"What seems to be the problem?" Phil shook his head. "I don't need any pity or anything," 

The guy shook his head. "Dude, you're literally crying outside of the prom," Phil shrugged. 

"My date dumped me," Phil sniffles. The guy squeezes Phil's shoulder. 

"Its okay, I got stood up. Dan," Dan introduces himself with a handshake. Phil shakes his hand weakly. 

"Phil," Phil looks up at Dan. Dan smiles. "You don't seem to be too upset about being stood up." 

Dan's smile disappears. "I'm kind of used to disappointment, I'm a loser." 

Phil automatically regrets saying everything. "I don't think you're a loser, I mean look at you. You look amazing." 

Dan blushes. "I'm just, quiet. No one really notices me, it's okay really."  Phil nods. 

Phil suddenly has an idea, a probably really stupid idea, but an idea!

"Dan, this is going to sound crazy," Dan's eyes widen. "I like crazy." Phil chuckles. 

"See, my friends were supposed to meet my boyfriend tonight," Dan nods and Phil continues. 

"And seeing how we're both dateless, why don't we take each other? We can be each other's boyfriends for the night?" 

Dan smiles and stands up. Phil quickly jumps to his feet, nervous. 

"That sounds like a great plan," Dan says Phil smiles. "But," The smile slightly fades. 

Dan clears his throat. "I lead." Phil chuckles and nods.