Chapter Eighteen

So today my family just decided to go to the water park, which is appropriate because it is such a glorious day. We had some doubts and complications before we went because we weren't sure if dad and Steven would be able to come or not due to dad's busy schedule and Steven's soccer practices. But in the end, we decided that we never go out and do things as a family. And it's important. I miss us being together, doing fun things, so I'm really excited. Plus, Petra's here, so there's no one missing, except Chris who has to give someone a guitar lesson.

But also reluctant. Thomas asked if he could come when I told him I wouldn't be home and told him why. I'd love for him to be with me, really. But what will my family think? They'll definitely forbid us from seeing each other, which is completely understandable, but doesn't mean I'll like that. Thomas and I agreed that he would be introduced as my friend and Steven, Eddie, and Paula grudgingly joined aboard.

The day is so great. We laugh and swim and I'm happy. Mom even came. It took us an hour to get her out the door but I think she's trying. I think she knows that staying cooped up in the house is unhealthy and she's really trying. I can see it in her eyes, her sad, lonely eyes. Mom and KC stay out a while, chatting. From a distance, they actually look...civil with each other. Mom's not frowning, but she's not smiling either, and KC's not touching her hair like a know-it-all and flicking her polished nails around.

Eventually, KC swaps roles with dad and gets into the kiddy pool with KJ. Petra and I drag mom out of her spot among our things on a pool chair. I'm glad she's getting some sun and moving around. I don't want to push her too far all of a sudden and have her die, but her joints must feel like rust by now. Mom and I used to take these weekly bike rides around the neighborhood, but the past few months have been crazy. I haven't touched my bike since. And neither has she. But the difference is that she hasn't been moving much except to get off the couch and go to her room.

Thomas and I have to keep our relationship lowkey and we sneak kisses underwater when we're absolutely positive no one's looking. I wish it were only the two of us so we'd feel free, but it's okay. I'm glad my family is here all together and everybody seems to be having a great time. For the first time in forever, I actually feel like things are going to be alright after all.

After three hours of fun resulting in blue skin and wrinkled, old lady toes, we decide to stop for ice cream on our way home. Oddly enough, we go into the ice cream parlor, which I find odd. We're all wet and wrinkled and blue and tired. People are probably looking at the lot of us crazy. But, oh, well.

When we're all seated at a makeshift table we joined together with respective chairs, Steven suddenly starts singing happy birthday. Paula, Zach, Eddie, KC, and Thomas all exchange funny looks and they join my brother. Then the adults sing. Everyone sings loud and we're all gay and giddy and my heart swells to the point where I think it can't go any further. Then it does.

"You guys!" I gush, my face growing hot. I start to tremble and my vision gets blurry.

"Are you gonna cry?" KJ asks, tugging on my sleeve. "What's wrong, Loni?"

I shake my head.

"Aw!" I smile, looking around the table.

"Happy seventeenth, baby!" Paula shouts, reaching over the table to hug me.

"Oops, careful." I caution, moving my ice cream away from her hair.

"How come you didn't even say anything about today?" John asks.

"What do you..."

"Come on, Loni," Zach interrupts. "Like, you usually make a huge deal out of your birthday, as all girls do anyway-"