Bound by the Enemy ~ Chap 6: Misunderstanding (Danne's POV)

~Danne’s POV~ (15 mins before he sees Kailyn)

“Hey dad.” I whispered quietly.

“I can see that you’re already at school with Ms. Ashford.” Father said.

“Yes father... I think she’s starting to get familiar with me.”

“Then try to get her to trust you. And when she does, immediately execute plan A.” He said in an irritated tone.

“Father, we already discussed this. I want to do this my way.”

Your way? You want to do it your way? Do you really want to repeat the tragedy in Berlin?”

“It’s not like that Father.”

“What? Are you gonna run away from it, like you did before? Huh, Ethan?”

“Would you just stop it? Just for once, trust me with this one. I’m not the same person anymore.” I said as I reached for the off button on the speaker.

“Don’t you hang up on me boy!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay... breathe Danne... breathe... you didn’t hear anything. Past is past... Keep your mind on your goal Danne. Focus... focus... This time, you won’t back down...

“What’s that annoying sound anyway?” I said as I looked outside the window. “What the hell?” doesn’t she know she left the curtains wide open? Wait, what’s she doing now?!? She must be having nightmares. Guess I better help her...

“Kailyn! Kailyn!”

“What is it?!?” she snapped as she fell down the bed.

Better keep my cool. “Good morning...?”

“What’s so good about the morning?!?” she screeched, closing her curtains.

“Okay, what the hell was that??” Ughhh.. maybe she’s still freaked out from that nightmare of hers. I better ask her about it.

~Rose Labyrinth~ (Danne’s POV)

“Hey, is something bothering you?” I said trying to sound calm... After all, who would be calm when you have a father like mine?

“Obviously.” She said, as if I wasn’t even there.

Okay...? What’s wrong with her, really? Ughh... I better get this over with before I lose my temper.

“Is there something or someone that’s causing you these difficulties? Maybe I can check it out for you.”

“I guess I can handle it on my own.” She said, obviously trying to ignore me. Okay, this is too much for me. I can’t handle this much drama for now.

“Look if anything happens to you, it’s my responsibility.” I said firmly. “I have too many problems right now and I don’t need you to add up to them.” I whispered under my breath.

Okay, that didn’t come out the way I expected it to come out, but she DID lend a hand in making me say it. I guess I better leave before I say anything that could hurt her more. I wouldn’t want my cover to be blown now that I’m already getting her trust. I’ll show father that he’s wrong...

“Maybe I need to clear my mind for a little while.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~The Siren: Durnstrong’s South Wing Swimming Pool~

Sigh... I guess it’s been a while since I’ve spent my free time to just relax... Ever since Berlin, I haven’t been able to think things through. It’s been two years now and I could still vividly remember that appalling night... Those innocent people, my men, and mother... What was I thinking back then? How could I have been so careless? Till now, I couldn’t really understand what’s happened... Everything’s still unclear... What would it take for me to get the life I once wanted? For now, I guess I better let it rest for a while...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Mind if I swim in?” Nick asked as he took off his shirt and jeans.

“Come right in bro.” I said, as I drifted away on my floating reclining chair.

“How long have you been lying in there anyway?” Nick said, awestruck.

“Huh? Why?” I asked, and noticed that my fingers were all wrinkled from too much water. “Oh! I must’ve slept when I got on this floating chair.”

“Must have.” He laughed, and I falsely laughed along with him. “You look funky. What’s bothering you?” Nick stated, as if knowing too well what was going on to even bother asking me.

“It’s nothing man, just been thinking about some things.... and... I kinda got into a fuss with Kailyn this morning so yeah.”

“Ahh, girls... Too much drama. That’s one of the reasons why I only have flings and O.N.S.’s, but it’s still one of the reasons why I keep coming back for more, you know?”

“Well, no one knows girls the way you do, you feet sweeping Casanova.” I winked, as we laughed in chorus.

“You are far too generous in your playful choice of compliments comrade. I am indeed privileged.” He chuckled a little more. “But seriously, girls could be the most complicated things. They could flirt with you today, and leave with your car the next.”

“Hmm... sounds like an interesting experience, Casanova.” I said in teasing tone.

“Happened four times in Spain, and thrice in Europe.” He winked. “But going back, maybe girls could be really hard to keep up with, but sometimes, you just need to understand them. They have the most complicated ideas. You see them with messed up hair, they freak. They eat more than a cheese cube, they’re fat. You know, little things like that matter to them so just try to understand them. Give ’em some time, and they’ll be fine.”

“You know Casanova, you could be really... decent, if you want to.” I teased.

“Don’t be ridiculous, I was born to steal hearts, and break hearts.” He shoved me off childishly.

“But seriously, thanks man. Coming from you, that was some advice.” I smiled.

“Well, don’t get used to it boy. You don’t want me breaking your heart.” He winked.

“Just saying, just saying.” I said, as our laughs faded into stillness. 

“Up for a few laps?” Nick asked, breaking of the silence.

“Maybe next time.” I winked. “I guess if I stay here for a few more minutes, I might come out looking like an old person or something.” I joked.

“Too bad,” Nick said in disappointment. “I heard you were quite a swimmer back then. And I, as a member of Durnstrong’s swim team, firmly believe that it’s my right to have a match with you.” 

“No wonder that dive was so calm and soundless.” I laughed. “Sure thing, I’ll keep that in mind once we meet again at the Siren (DA’s Swimming pool).”

“I’ll look forward to that.” He said. “Well in that case, looks like that girl in the hot tub needs someone to warm up to, and I ‘m just the guy to keep her from freezing.” He said as he smiled seductively at her direction.

“Well, good luck with that Casanova, I guess I’ll see you around.” I said as I climbed up the pool’s bars.

“Oh, by the way, I was with Kailyn earlier at the BIB, and she seemed kind of upset too with your little argument, so yeah. Maybe you should just go ahead and talk to each other. You’ll see.” He smirked and went for the girl at the hot tub.

“Thanks bro.” I said nonchalantly.

Well... Maybe Nick’s right. Maybe she was just having one of her, complicated girl moments... Like with the messed hair, that cheese cu--- Wait a minute. Earlier this morning? Open curtain? Messy hair and morning face? That must be it. She must’ve been humiliated when I saw her like that. Not that I could care less about how she looks like in the morning. I mean, she still looks the same after all. But--- Wait a minute. Why am I even over complicating things? I guess I’ll just give her some space for a while and talk to her after all the drama’s done. Who knows?

“That Casanova sure knows his game alright.”

*Copyright 2011