Bound by the Enemy ~ Chap 1: First encounter

I was always used to getting all the love and attention in my family, especially from my father. He’d always pamper me with all the things I wanted. Sometimes, he even sends me to different countries, saying that he’ll be back from a long business trip. As a seven year-old girl, I enjoyed all of this. It was only a few years ago when I found out about the real meaning to my continuous vacations: my safety.

You see, my father was a very rich businessman. He knows all the right people, in all the right places. Because of this, many agencies wanted him, especially the mafia. It was on my ninth birthday when they barged into our house, taking me as their hostage. I was saved of course, thanks to my father’s friends, but this was only the start. Ever since they knew of my existence, they never stopped hunting me, knowing that the only way to get to my father was to get through me.

Since then, I was sent to different places, the farther the better. But they always got to me. That’s when my father thought that I should be protected by a personal bodyguard, one that’ll protect me 24/7. So far, I’ve had 42 bodyguards and the list goes on, and on, and on...

I was suppose to met another one today, since the last one chickened out when he got caught inside the girl’s locker room (protecting me, of course), but who knows? Maybe this one will be different.

“Ms. Ashford, you’re gonna be late for your flight.” Demetri said, knocking at my door.

“Okay, okay, I’ll be there in a minute.” Sometimes, I just can't pull myself to get mad at Demetri even if he's so over protective of me. After all, he was the butler who nursed me since I was born.

“Finally, Ms. Ashford, I thought something happened to you back there.” He sighed, relief and sadness filling his expression.

“Aww, don’t cry Demetri, we’ll still meet again. I promise. You’ll always be my favourite butler.” I said as I wiped away the tears that trickled down from his wrinkled, old face.

“Promise me one more thing okay?”

“Sure.” I said, as tears formed at the ends of my eyes as well.

“Be safe...” he finally said, handing me a folded piece of paper, “Open it when you’re get inside okay?”

“Okay... I’ll miss you.” I said, as I got inside the jet. I waved him goodbye and opened the envelope. It was a picture of him, cradling me in his arms. This time, I couldn’t help but let the tears fall down from my eyes. I closed my them and waited as we arrive at our destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Ms. Ashford? We’re here.” Gerard said as he handed me my coat.

I went down the private jet, and looked at the familiar old castle in front of me, my father’s office. I slipped inside my jacket and made my way through the fern covered pathway that leaded to the castle.

“Ahh!!” I shrieked as I slipped through some moss-covered rocks.

“Whoa, you should be more careful you know?” said the stranger who caught me.

I tried to focus on his face as the blood went down my head. When I was okay, he helped me sit down on a nearby rock. That’s when I really noticed his features. He had dark brown hair that perfectly accented his tanned skin, and golden brown eyes. His cheek bones were perfectly situated above his full, thin lips, accentuating his cleft chin. He looked like an angel.

“Excuse me, miss? What’s with the face?!?”

Or not. 

“Hey? Are you listening? Hello? Are you deaf?” he said again, shaking one hand in front of my face.

Definitely not.

Excuse me?!?” I said as I lashed out at him. How could someone so beautiful, be so rude at the same time?

“Finally! I thought you were in shock! Maybe you should practice more on your balancing skills.” He winked as he laughed at me.

I felt furious. I suddenly felt the urge to hit something because of my anger. I punched him.

“That’s what you get for underestimating me, you jerk!!” I bawled as I quickly got away from him.

I ran inside the castle, babbling to myself. How dare he say that I had bad balancing skills? Didn’t he know I studied gymnastics in preschool? Ughh!!

“Kailyn?” A familiar voice said from behind me.

“DADDY!!!” I screamed, as I ran to hug him.

“How’s my princess? Have you been good while I was at my business trip?” he asked, giving out a low chuckle.

“Dad, you can stop calling it your ‘business trip’, it’s not like I don’t know.”

“Hmm... you’re right. Maybe we should get straight to the point.” He said, suddenly changing his tone to a serious one. “I’m going to assign a new bodyguard for you. This time, he’s of the same age, so he can accompany you to your new school. He’ll work undercover as your classmate so he can watch you, 24/7. Daniel? Please come in.” Daddy said, signalling the chambermaids to open the door.

NO WAY. Could this be for real?!?

“YOU?!?” we both said at the same time.

“Good, so you already know each other.” Dad chuckled.

“Daddy? Is this the new guy? How can you possibly ask an egoistic, immature jerk to protect me?!?” I shrieked at the top of my lungs.

“Why honey? Is something the matter?”

“What do you mean is something the matter? Of course there is! This guy’s a maniac, and there’s no way you could make him be my body guard!”

“You don’t understand Kailyn; the Mafia’s boss has his men posing as would-be bodyguards. They already know about our bodyguard searches, so basically, you don’t have any other choice. We’re even lucky to have someone like Daniel here.”

“I’d rather get caught by the Mafi—” he cut me off, mid sentence.

“Enough, young lady! Don’t you think you’re just over reacting to much? You’re treating Daniel like he’s a disease or something. Apologize.” Daddy said putting on a tone of authority.

Okay, so maybe I was overreacting but can’t he at least find me another body guard? Ughh... I guess I have to do this so I won’t hurt Daddy.

“S-s-s-sorry...” I said, putting on my poker face.

“Maybe we should start out again...”

*Copyrighted 2011