Chapter one

Chapter one:

 The whistle blew and my head shot towards the reff.

“Foul!” He yelled doing the action of an illegal block. The crowed roared in my favor and I couldn’t help but smile. We were only one point behind with twenty seconds left in the game. That means only one foul shot to tie or two to get ahead.

“You got this Sky.” Kylee said while giving me an encouraging pat on the back. I walked over to the foul lined as the other girls lined up on the key. Emma and Alex were in their positions between the two other girls from the Manitoba provincial team. They gave me a smile.

“Two shots, relax on the first.” The reff said as he passed me the ball. I did two short dribbles, twirled the ball, and then bent down in my shooting position. I took a deep break and breathed it out slowly to try to calm my nerves. Then in one fluid motion that I have been doing since I was four, the ball slid off my fingers and rotated in the air making a beautiful swishing sound. My heart thundered and I let out a small laugh.

“Yes! That’s the way Skylar, that's the way!” I heard coach screaming from the bench. The other girls were screaming along with him.

“One more, on the release.” The reff said passing me back the ball. I did my routine again, taking another deep breath. The ball fell into the basket, not as smoothly, but it still went in. I smiled as the girls came to high five me. We jogged back to our end of the court. Manitoba passed the ball in and the seconds went down.

“Got ball!” I yelled taking my defensive stance as their point guard brought the ball down. The crowed started.

“Ten, nine, eight, seven, six,”

My stomach got butterflies. They shot the ball. Miss.

“Four, three, two, one!” The screams where ear piercing. I ran to my teammates, others came off the sidelines, and we jumped on each other screaming our heads off, crying tears of joy.

“I can’t believe it! We won!” Riley shouted.

“We’re going to the finals!” Couch Dalton shouted jumping in with the sweaty mess. I was crying and laughing at the same time as I hugged everyone. The eleven girls didn’t just make up my basketball team I’ve spent four years playing, learning, winning, laughing, loosing, and crying, but they were also my family.

We started off as the underdog Ontario Provincial team. We lost more than half of our season games the first year. Being young and only fifteen (the baby of the team), I was frightened and nervous. After Dalton took over our team we said goodbye to our social lives and practiced three times a week, trained every other night, and played as many games as he could schedule. Then we became the team to beat, each year getting better and stronger. Now we’re on out way to the National finals.

I looked over the mass of people and spotted my dad. He was standing proudly in the stands with a huge grin on his face clapping his hands, while sporting an Ontario Provincials Women's Basketball Jersey with my lucky number 14 printed on the front. My dad was the ultimate sports father. Even though he knew nothing about basketball, he realized I had a talent for it at a young age he signed me up for the house team, and then encouraged me to go for the school teams. Next I made the traveling team and suddenly I found myself making the provincial team at fifteen. He was there every step of the way cheering and driving across the country, never missing a game.

I waved at him and he gave me a thumbs up.

“Okay girls, lets get a picture shall we.” Coach Rivington said, trying to gather us into a somewhat organized position as reporters flocked around. We flung our arms around each other and screamed into the stadium.