Chapter 12-Friend Zones and Booty Calls

-Dallas' POV-

"Uno and out," I yelled across the table to Harper as I slapped down my final card. "That makes the score six to zip. You really suck at this game."

"Congratulations. You can play fucking uno! But can you push out a baby? So there, I win."

"Aw, c'mon. Don't be a swore loser Harp." I said and started making kissing noises towards her.

"Hold on, let me bend down first so you can kiss my ass," she said smiling.

We were arguing just a few hours ago and now we were playing cards and messing around like usual. We can't stay mad at each other, been friends for too long. That's why I don't understand why she can't just see that I'll make a great boyfriend, and maybe even husband. I could imagine spending the rest of my life with Harper. I already basically helped her raise Nora. And there's no doubt in my mind that I will be here for Nora's little bun in the oven. So what's stopping her from dating me? Have I been friend zoned and didn't even realize?

Harper snapped me out of my thoughts with a smack against the head. "Let's go, fool," she snapped at me as she walked out the door. The wind blowing her scent towards me. Honey and lilacs. Her favorite shampoo. Oh great, I'm a perv. I'm so creepy.

We pulled up in front of Yaya's Papayas' and I could tell she was really nervous. "Chill out, Harp.  It's not a date remember? Just go." I said kind of bluntly. But could you blame me?

I waited for her to get inside before pulling off. I was in sort of a bad mood considering Claude was basically on a date with Harper and I had to spend another night alone. I'm a 35 year old, single man living with my sister. No wonder I'm not Harpers type, I'm no one's type. I've never been the kind to be alone. I'm a family man and I've always pictured planning a life with Harper, but she doesn't have the same feelings and it hurts.

As I'm pulling into my driveway I see a car pulling out. Chris, Tess' new boyfriend. He was 21 and way too young for her. Still lives at home with his mother and she still brags about him graduating high school. He drove what seemed to be his mother's mini van, it still had the car seats in the back along with the dry cleaners. What a joke. Tess could do a lot better, I don't know what she sees in him.

I walked in the two bedroom apartment and regretted ever coming home. Tess, was standing in nothing but a thong, and red pumps and clearly trying to clean up the house before I got home. There was whip cream and strawberries on the living room coffee table and all I wanted to do was stick knives in my eyeballs, crawl in a ball and die. Probably the most terrifying thing I've ever witnessed.

Tess quickly tried to cover herself with one hand, but it wasn't working. "Go away!" she yelped at me and ran down the skinny hallway into her bedroom.

All I could think about was; I need my own place asap.

As I sat down on the couch shaking my head violently trying to shake out the image I just received, Tess was walking back into the living room in a pair of holey blue jeans and a red tank top that read 'Juicey'.  Her hair was a mess and her face was still bright red from embarrassment.

"Seriously, Tess. What do you see in that guy? What's in your guy's future?"

"Hmm, great sex." She giggled.

"That's it. I'm moving out tomorrow. There's just certain things an older brother doesn't need to see or know and that was definitely one of them."

"Oh don't be so dramatic, Dallas. Just because you're not getting laid doesn't mean the rest of us shouldn't be getting some action."

"Well maybe I want more than just sex. I want the whole package." I responded.

"No, you're waiting for Harper to suddenly wake up one day and think you're the right guy for her. But guess what, Dallas? Not gonna happen, or else it would have by now. She'd rather go to dinner with fucking Claude than to get in your pants. I mean, if that's not a wake up call than I don't know what is." Tess was going full rant on me right now. Out of the blue.

"No offense here sis, but I'm really not in the mood for a rant from someone screwing a guy just above jail bait. "

"Don't judge me. I'm not the one in love with someone who refuses to love me back. I know exactly where I stand with Chris. You? Well you let Harper boss you around and treat you like a little puppy. Face it. You're her bitch, Dal. You do all the work of a husband, and no sex or commitment. You're just as bad as I am, just more boring. So wash your own damn hands, before you wanna point that dirty finger at someone else." She said as she stormed off, slamming her bedroom door behind her.