Chapter 8-I Cook, You Cook

Nora's POV

        "That was the worst chili I think I've ever had." Claude said as he finished his dinner.

        "Hey, I said I was gonna make chili, not good chili. And besides I don't believe I heard you calling it nasty when you were devouring it a few seconds ago."

        "Well, that's because I haven't eaten all day." I replied.

        "Yeah, me either. I don't get to eat lunch since I always seem to be too busy to eat. I'm a little behind in all my classes so I spend my lunchbreak trying to catch up. And on the weekends I'm usually doing homework, catching up on missing assignments or trying to make the most out of my weekends."

        "Well, maybe we should get some lunch sometime, yeah?" Claude asked hopefully.

        "I...am....I, maybe.....I don't..." I managed to mumble out of my mouth. I didn't know what to say really. A part of me wanted to get to know him but there was another part of me that just wasn't ready to put myself out there. And I didn't want to make that decision right there on the spot.

Claude looked disappointed. He wiped his mouth with a napkin and scooted his chair back. "I'm trying too hard, it's too soon. I'm sorry. How's this, I step back and let you breathe and when you're ready.....we'll get to know each other?" He must've took my silence as a no because he stood up and started walking towards the door. I was still trying to process everything and he wanted a flat out answer right then and there. Before I knew what was happening, the words just kind of blurted out of my mouth.

"I cooked for you. I think it's only fair that you do the same for me tomorrow. What do you say?" I asked, unsure if I wanted him to say Yes or No at that point.

"I'll come pick you up at two tomorrow afternoon and make you lunch at my house." He replied so quickly, he left without hearing my answer.

I went to my room and laid on my bed. Didn't sleep a wink. I was too excited about hanging with Claude if I'm being completely honest. That's all I could think of all night. Was that "I have a dad, I have a dad". The thought wouldn't process in my brain.

From the moment I met Cal, all he ever did was complain about how horrible his mother and father were. His mom being a drunken bitch, which let's face it....she was, and his father being all in his business and being overprotective. Which doesn't sound that bad to me compared to what I knew of Claude. He was just the guy who got my mother knocked up in high school and never wanted me.  Come to find out, his dad isn't bad at all. And I can't wait until Claude is all in my business and really overprotective over me and my soon to be child. Cal just doesn't know how good he had it growing up with both parents and enough money to end world hunger. My life would've been so different, had Claude stayed with my mother years ago. I would have both parents for one. And two, we wouldn't have to live from pay check to pay check just to get by. I'm on cloud nine knowing that I can still be with Cal and I can finally get to know my father. What I'm worried about is, how Cal is going to take the divorce between his mom and Claude. But that's another problem for another day.