Chapter Five

Chapter Five | The Idiot They Call 'King'

Maggie

I closed my book shut, unable to concentrate. I had a couple of homework I should be doing right now, but I'm really, really hungry. I can't focus in my work if I had an empty, grumbling stomach.

I'm all alone right now in our house. My mother's still at her office and dad's at the hospital right now. I could go down in the kitchen and make myself something, but I couldn't cook even if my life depended on it.

Sighing, I got up from my bed and shrugged on my oversized dark green jacket. I'll just go to the nearest McDonald's and eat there.

I went out of the house, making sure that the door was locked tight, before trudging towards the street.

"Going somewhere, Magpie?"

I turned around to glare at the annoying boy who just got out of his car at the driveway next door. "Piss off, Michaels."

Jake smirked, stuffing his hands on his pockets as he stepped towards me. "Are you sneaking out to meet some guy? Or do you just want to see my handsome face?"

I ignored his remark and instead focused on the car behind him.

"Where's Erin?" I asked when I noticed that my best friend wasn't anywhere in sight.

Jake just gave me a blank look, before his eyes widened like it was about to pop out of their sockets.

"ERIN!"

I face-palmed myself.

"You forgot your sister?!"

"Shi*t! Coach cancelled our practice today! I uh...sort-of hung out with a friend and got distracted." He said, raking his hands over his messy light-brown hair in frustration.

"Hung out?" I raised an eyebrow at him. "Don't you mean hooked up? You have lipstick marks all over your face idiot, so you either made out with someone or you like wearing make-up."

"Alright, smarty-pants." He rolled his eyes at me before grabbing my hand. "Let's go."

"What?! Why would I do that?" I hissed, trying to wriggle my way out of his iron grip, to no avail.

"Because I don't want to face my sister's rage alone." He simply said, shoving me unceremoniously inside his car.

"I really want to murder you right now." I growled at him as he started driving.

"Sure thing. Kill me with your books and immense braininess." He scoffed.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Are you mocking me?"

"Puh-lease." Jake rolled his eyes. "How could you kill me when you can't even hurt a fly?"

"I can hurt you!"

"You can't, darling."

"Yes I can! And don't call me that!"

"I'll call you whatever I want. It's a free country."

"If that's the case, then I can call you a douchebag turd!"

"No, you can't."

"I can!"

"No, you can't"

"Yes, I can!"

"Nope."

"Yes. I. Can."

"You can't kiss me."

"Yes I can—wait, what?!"

"Fine, I'm giving you permission to kiss me."