Chapter 3

Snowspell high school, the only high school in town which is home to nearly 500 students. It's a typical high school. It sits on a city block almost in the middle of town. Various restaurants that I never eat at surround it. There's a pizza place, a taco place and a burger place offering all kinds of choices to the students for lunch, which most of the student population frequent on a regular basis. Some enjoy it so much that they don't usually come back after for classes.

The school itself is three levels and is built like a giant square with an extra large gymnasium attached to it. Each corner of the school specializes in various subjects. Languages and math are in the north end, history, geography and most of the sciences are in the east end. All technology and the remaining science courses are located in the south and the west side houses various specialty courses, like the arts. Seeing as how I am a sophomore, I get to see all of the wings for classes throughout the year. Sophomores, don't have the luxury of picking elective courses.

The hallways are lined with lockers that alternate the school colors, blue and white. The walls are usually covered with social justice initiatives, student council elections and advertisements for dances and other activities that seem to be important to high school kids.

The student population here is no different than the other schools I've been to. They break off into factions based on varying criteria and many of them are just trying to get through the day, looking forward to the time when they will leave Snowspell and hopefully never come back.

You would think that after being in town for just about two years now that I would have made some friends or at least fit into some kind of group. I don't. I was never coordinated enough to play sports so I don't fit in with the jocks. I don't buy designer clothes or dance, so cheerleading was out and none of the other groups appealed to me all that much. The arts kids hung around together, the science kids and the tech kids all broke off into their groups. I didn't even really fit into the science club, although I might after the success I had when I worked with Jared in my last high school.

I usually keep to myself and try to blend in as much as possible so as not to be noticed. I think I once heard a rumor that I was from another planet so most people don't bother with me too much. I don't get invited to parties, I don't skip out of classes and I usually eat lunch alone. To be honest, I have grown accustomed to it. I may not like it all that much, but at least it's consistent.

It's shortly after nine and I've settled into my first period biology class. Our teacher, Mr. Jamieson, is just about to get started when the door opens and in walks the principal Mrs. Raymond with a new student.

Mrs. Raymond is an intimidating looking woman. She stands nearly six feet tall, even more when she's wearing heels, and looks about as thick as an offensive lineman on the football team. A picture of her is in the sports hall of fame display from when she was younger. Apparently she was quite the athlete. Captain and co-captain of the volleyball and basketball team respectively. What makes her most intimidating is the look that she can give students when she is not impressed with them. It is often referred to the as the 'death -ray stare'. She pushes her lips together, her nostrils flare and she locks her gaze on whoever is unlucky enough to get caught doing something they shouldn't be. It's really quite the sight. I have seen even the largest and most cocky football players back down when they are challenged by her. Even unlucky, irate parents are not immune to it, so say the stories. She's an equal opportunity look giver.

Mrs. Raymond waits for the whispering to stop before addressing the room. Lucky for us, there is no death ray stare. The students are whispering because they are not sure what to make of the new student that stands before them. Typical high school stuff, they are already trying to pigeon hole him into a group. Although by looking at him, I am not even sure what group he would fit into.

"Students, I would like to introduce you to a new student. His name is Alexander Relmy. He has transferred here from....uhh, where did you transfer from again?"

"Up north, you wouldn't know it." he replies. Some of the students snicker at his response.

Mrs. Raymond, gives him a quick look as if she is deciding about whether or not he is questioning her authority or her knowledge of geography. She continues, "I would ask that you welcome our newest Snowspell family member...."

As Mrs. Raymond continues to introduce the new student our eyes meet and the sound fades away. He has piercing, icy, blue-grey eyes, unlike anything I have seen before. A feeling of uneasiness washes over me and I try to break his gaze, but for some reason I cannot. The uneasiness inside me is growing as I begin to actually feel a small amount of fear while looking at this new boy dressed in these dark clothes. There is a strange feeling that I know him, but am unsure where it could be from. I would surely remember the feeling that I am having this minute if we had met before. His blue eyes are staring directly at me as if penetrating my very soul and the smirk on his face makes goose bumps rise on my arms. The whispering in the classroom begins again as he isn't trying to hide his stare which is only compounding my anxiety. Everyone is either looking at me or him. I can feel their eyes on me and my heart races as I instinctively reach for the pendant around my neck and squeeze it.

"I've finally found you." is what I hear in my head as the pain of grasping my pendant takes me my mind off what is happening. But I still cannot break his gaze. Then, in a similar instance to how it started, the feeling is gone. He stops looking at me and the feeling immediately washes away and I feel myself again. "....with open arms and treat him with respect." Mrs. Raymond finishes.

I shake my head as if coming out of a day dream. I look at the clock and only mere moments have past. That moment feels like it lasted forever. "Welcome Alexander." says Mr. Jamieson, "Kindly find a seat and we can begin." The class is no longer staring at me. Was I dreaming it? Judging by how fast my heart is racing and the sweat it has caused to form on the top of my forehead, there had to have been more to it than just a figment of my overactive imagination

There are many open seats in the classroom and some of the girls have purposely moved their things to make room for the new guy. They all sit a little straighter in their chair and try to show off their "assets" as he makes his way down the row. Flirtatious eyes follow him. Much to my surprise and to the surprise of others in the class, he seems to ignore their gestures and walks up to my table, as if he planned to sit here the entire time. "Is this seat taken?" he asks in a voice that gives me butterflies. He begins to put down his things before I can even think of an answer. If the class wasn't really staring at me before, they certainly are now. I nervously gulp as he takes his seat and moves it closer to me.