Chapter 24

I awake with Jared standing over top of me. His hands are on my shoulders and he looks like he has seen a ghost. He is standing in a pair of pajama pants and a white muscle shirt. I was right about the weight that he has put on. His body is very well defined. His shoulders are broad and his arms are very well defined. I bet the girls at Snowspell would be all over him and he would be the envy of many students. I already knew how smart he was, I just didn't realize how built he was now as well.

"Are you okay? I've been trying to wake you for the last fifteen minutes!"

It takes me a moment to gather myself and I am finally able to shake my head. Jared finally releases my shoulders and takes a step back.

"That must have been some dream."

"I..I don't remember it." A total lie.

Jared makes a strange face at me, as if he only half believes me, so I try to change the subject.

"How is Alexander?"

"Hasn't moved. I came in here to tell you I was heading uptown to get a few things. If you're going to be here for a while, I want to make sure that we're stocked up on anything and everything we may need. Can you think of anything?"

I stretch out for a moment in the chair and hear a series of loud pops in various places of my body. My muscles are tired and achy. Perhaps the chair wasn't as comfortable as I thought it would be. Although, you may feel the same way as me if you had been dream battling cloud monsters at night.

I try to move, but my body is stiff. The only thing that is on my mind is finding something to do that will get the latest dream out of my head and I have a feeling that sitting in this room is not going to help with that.

"The only thing I think I need is to get up and move. Mind if I tag along?"

I pause for a moment thinking about what Alexander would say if I left to go somewhere without him. He wouldn't approve. I justify my going by telling myself that we won't be very long and that he may even still be out by the time that we do get back and not have any idea that we were gone in the first place.

Jared puts on a big smile. "I think it would do you good to get out. I will make sure that the house is locked up tight and that the alarm is set. If anything gets in here, I will know. The alarm is synced with my phone."

I feel a little more at ease leaving knowing that Alexander will be safe in the house. So before I change my mind, I am up and moving towards the door with my coat in hand. This will be a welcome change.

"Besides," says Jared gathering up his keys, "what could possibly happen?"

*

Jared offered to drive his car into town for us to pick up what we need but with his house being so close to a grocery store, I thought it would be better if we walked. I could use the exercise after sitting all night beside Alexander's bed. It feels good to get some walking in.

The air is crisp and the town is just as I remember it. It's very colonial and very American. The houses are large, mostly white and they sit on huge lots with many tall, old trees in almost everyone's front yard. American flags fly high on the houses and proudly show their love and patriotism. And if the snow hadn't been covering everyone's front yard, most of the lawns would be perfectly manicured and a lush green.

This town is nothing special. Much like Snowspell there are a small number of people here. Everyone seems to know everyone and would do anything for a neighbor. Jared seems to know them all. He acknowledges them with a nod or a wave as we walk by.