Chapter Two: "I Don't Fuck With You!"

HARLEM, NEW YORK, U.S.A. - JULY 2001

RAKIM POV

Yo! I'm Rakim Mayers. Everyone calls me Rocky though...I was named after the music God himself: Rakim! My mother ran through traffic one time to get the guy to sign my pampers when I was younger. I wish I could meet him though. My mom broke up with my Dad when I was four years old. He got locked up when I was five, and during that time when we stayed in the shelter, she met DeVante Swing. Ricky may not always see eye to eye with him, but he does really thank God that DeVante came in the picture because he saved us all. Putting his career to the side for my mom and us. She got married to DeVante when I was six. Before Juniper came along, me, Ricky, and Erika were the Three Amigos. But hey, love my stepsister though, she's pretty and smart. DeVante's kinda cool...he's hard on my brother Ricky though. He always pushed us to work hard, be successful like him but Ricky just wants to do what he wants to do. 

"You breakin' curfew again? HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU THE SAME MOTHERFUCKIN' THING, BOY!?" I heard DeVante yell. Here we go again!

Ricky: "I DON'T FUCK WITH YOU, MY NIGGA! YOU AIN'T SHIT, I DO WHAT THE FUCK I WANNA DO...I'M 20 YEARS OLD NIGGA!" 

I opened the door and saw Ricky and DeVante in a shoving match. But as usual, DeVante got the upper hand.

DeVante: Boy, as long as your ass is black, and as long as you breathin'...you live in this house, you live by MY RULES!!!

I sighed and saw my stepsister hiding in the dumbwaiter, shutting the front of it to block out the noise. I went in the kitchen and tapped gently on the door. 

Juniper: Leave me alone!

Me: C'mon, open the door.

Juniper: I'm scared Rocky!

Me: C'mon, there's nothing to be scared of. I'm here, ain't nothing gon' happen, bruh bruh!

Slowly but surely she let the door up, and smiled at me, looking at me with those beautiful blue green eyes. I grabbed her hand and led her outside to the stairs.

Juniper: Rocky! We can't leave...I gotta tell my daddy!

Me: No girl, you ain't gotta tell him everything, we just going to the store anyways.

Juniper: What about Erika?

Me: She sleeping girl, let's go before they run out of Icees!

She took my hand and we walked the 20 minutes to the store. Every other Friday when Ricky and DeVante argue, I steal change from my stepdad's bedroom drawer and use it to buy me and Juno candy. Me and my other niggas Yams, Ferg, Bari, Illz, Nast, Lou Bega, Ty, and Dash was there too. Dash always be pulling Juno's hair trying to fuck with her, but I be checking that nigga. But, going to the store wasn't the only reason I snuck out. My friends and I sell weed for extra cash and I use the money to give Juno whatever she wants because DeVante be so busy being a drill sergeant he ignores her a lot. Plus, given how close Juno is...I know she ain't gon' tell on me. 

Juniper: Rocky?

Me:  What's up, girl?

Juniper:  Do you love me?

Me: Serious questions, girl? Of course I love you, Juno.

Juniper: Like a sister? A real sister? 

Me: Look, we not blood related. But sometimes there's family that ain't even blood, sis. You may not get it now, but you will...okay?

She smiled and I pulled her into a hug. I thought having a stepsister would suck....but I'm glad this isn't the case.