The Selfish One

A/N: Hi guys, I'm really sorry for not updating. *CoughTooLazy*  I apologise for the other chapters being stupid or unbelievable, I promise not to let the story get to helicopters and slides. 

Thank you for reading anyway.

~*~*~*

Sitting in the ambulance van on the way to the hospital  was one of the worst moments of my life. My mother lay there, cheekbones prominent, elastic scary-white skin stretched over frail bones, thin mouth set in a seemingly permanent grimance. My mum used to really pretty, eyes full of life, laughing and joking, lighting up my world with her goodness. 

Her eyes are full of nothing, she looks like a skeleton, she doesn't even talk when sober, and has been reduced to a dull object in replacement of a shining light.

But as she lay there unconscious, I felt nothing but sadness, depression and betrayal. My dad betrayed her, then she betrayed me. I am nothing more than a sniveling orphan, left alone to face the world on my own. How she simply turned to alcohol and drugs to solve problems, and left her daughter alone with a cheating father, in a empty mansion, without guidance in the world. 

My supposed-to-be dad sits on the opposite side of me, tie messed, business suit crumpled, running a hand through his messy hair repeatedly, averting his eyes from what is left of his 'wife'. 

I glare at him, setting my icy blue stare on him, putting the blame on him. This is all your effing fault,  I think to myself. You hurt my mother. You grabbed her heart with leather gloves, smashed it into shreds on the ground with designer shoes, spat on it with spearmint breath, and drove away in a limousine. 

 I settle to glower into the floor of the van instead.

This is all your fault. You don't have a daughter anymore.

The ambulance pulls up in the bay, and the doors open, revealing medics prepped and ready to go. They take the stretcher out and start wheeling it into the building that I know is filled with sad memories of people dying. I feel like I can't force myself to get out, but eventually, Adeline jumps out and slowly coaxes me out of my frozen state. I take small steps after Adeline as she jogs after the stretcher. Dad scuffles behind me, hands in pockets, looking angry. Angry? Oh no he did not.

The stretcher is assigned a room and it rolls down the hallway, and turns left into a modern, lavish room. I assume Dad handed over the insurance details. 

I'm about to jog into the room, but the Medics push me out and shut the door in my face. Turning into a wild animal, I scream and pound and claw at the door, hollering at it to open and give me back my mum. My nail chips, but for once I don't care. After a few minutes and a few failed attempts from Adeline to get me to stop, I gnash my teeth and slump down on the floor, Adeline sitting nest to me and making soothing sounds while rubbing circles into my back. Dad just stares daggers at the door.

For some reason that makes my blood boil, and I shakily get to my feet, rising up to stare my dad down. He notices me and scoffs. 

Scoffs?

That's when I explode into a ball of fury.

"How DARE  you scoff at my FACE!" I yell. "MY MOTHER AND YOUR WIFE IS DYING IN THERE, AND YOU HAVE THE F***ING NERVE TO LOOK ANGRY, WHEN YOUR DAUGHTER IS CLEARLY DISTRESSED. YOU ARE A DISGRACE TO OUR FAMILY, YOU CHEATING ZUCCHINI FINDER CROTCH JERK NAZI!"

"What FAMILY?" he yells back."We were never a family recently. Your mum was so disrespectful to me, and she just turned and mated with a bottle of Jack Daniels. That witch didn't even talk to you or anything! She abandoned me!"

"SHE ABANDONED YOU? YOU EFFING ABANDONED HER! YOU CHEATED ON HER!" I shriek even louder.

"THAT WAS HER FAULT FOR BEING IGNORANT!"

"OF WHAT-"

"OF THE FACT SHE GOT MORE TIME WITH YOU THAN ME!"

Silence. "Is that what this is all about?"

Dad looks uncomfortably at his shoes. "Well-"

"Yes, it was, wasn't it. You cheated on your wife because you wasn't man enough to tell her you wanted to spend time with me, then got angry, wanted to get her attention by bringing home sluts, and then they became distractions. And look what happened. Your wife and my mum is dying. Consider yourself dead to me, too."

"You're just like your mum. Selfish, spoilt, and whiny."

"Oh okay, so I'm the selfish one here."

"Yes you were. You didn't even try and help me or your mum. Instead you let us rot into a pitiful state."

That much is true. I was so afraid I'd get hurt. Tears were threatening to spill out of my lashes, and I had to bite down hard on my lip. It started bleeding, but at this point I didn't care about my lip gloss. 

"I hate you, Dad", I mumble, before throwing open Mum's door and ran in, slamming the door behind me. Dad stayed there with Adeline, and Death did too. I ran to Mum clothed in dreadful hospital clothes, her skin even whiter. I could see purplish blue veins criss-crossing underneath her white skin. At this point, Snow White would be so jealous. 

I kneeled down and sniffled into her hospital shirt, willing myself not to cry. 

A nurse kneeled down beside me, holding a clipboard. I peeked at the papers on the clipboard. They all had heartbeat results from the various machinery surrounding the bed. All of them were going down, an my heart clenched with each rise and fall of the line. 

The nurse patted my back soothingly. Her name tag read Sarah.

"Hey there, you must be...?" she asked.

"Alison, her daughter", I mumble into the bed sheet. 

"Alright. Alison, we're going to need you to come back later, we're going to perform an operation on your mother, and it might take a while. She's in a critical condition, and she will die if we don't put her through surgery soon. Do you think you can wait for at least an hour?"

"Yes."

"Thank you very much. Someone will direct you to the waiting room. And don't worry, we'll save your mum, Alison", Sarah says before standing up and looking at Mum. "I think", she adds under her breath. 

I'm the Selfish one.