Chapter 10

I run past everyone and run straight to Aiza's room and onto her balcony. I needed to think. Why does life keep throwing curveballs at me? I didn't want him here. Wait... What if... Wait so this means that he's Uncle Osman's son! Meaning my cousin in law. Why is it that whenever I try to get far away from him, destiny always brings us together again. All of a sudden now he's part of my family? I didn't want this. I don't think that I deserved this. Last time I had ever even seen him was last summer. He had walked into my room in the middle of the night to rob my house but left after finding out I lived here. This had to happen in the middle of Aiza and Wali's Mehndi? I can't let this affect me. Its Wali's MEHNDI. I should be out there with everyone else, in the khushi wala atmosphere. I wasn't gonna let him affect me. In fact, this time, he wouldn't win. I'm tired of losing to him.

"Shano? You okay yaar?" Mawra's worried voice said behind me.

"You left unexpectedly." said Arzoo.

"Yeah I'm fine guys." I say, no one could have best friends as true and sincere as mine. They deserved the best and only the best. I didn't want to worry them so I smile and say "I needed some fresh air, I probably lost 10 pounds from dancing." I joke.

"We were great!" said Mawra.

My cousin Qianaat called out from Ayesha's bedroom, "Where were you Shano? Aiza's looking for you."

We all go downstairs and back into the living room. Wali and the rest of the men returned to the living room. Aiza spotted me and quickly motioned me to come over. She was laughing with Uncle Osmans's daughter while Aunty Haleema was telling them some story. I sit down on  a chair and Aiza grins.

"This is Rukhsana, pyaar se hum isse Shano kehte hai, with love we call her Shano." Aiza said to them.

"Shano, this is Uncle Osman, and this is Aunty Haleema." Aiza said.

"Aslamalaikum." I greet them.

"Tum toh bohot pyaari ho, You are very cute." Aunty Haleema said with a warm smile.

I thank her and Aiza continues, "This is my little cousin, Zulekha."

"Hey you forgot! I'm your favorite cousin!" said Zulekha in cute small voice.

"We call her Zuzu for short, and yes, of course you're my favorite cousin!" Aiza said as she pinched ZuZu's cheeks.

Yousef walked by and Aiza quickly grabbed his arm.

"And THIS, is Yousef. He's a tough little fella. When you get to know him he's a really funny and nice guy." Aiza chirped.

Yousef looked surprised when I plastered a fake smile and said "Nice to meet you Yousef, my name is Rukhsana, but you can call me Shano."

I hadn't realized that those words were the exact ones I had spoken to him 10 years ago when I first met him.

He got up and left and Aiza just waved it away with "Don't mind him, he can be moody sometimes."

I smirk, and the war just began.

• • •

All the guests left and only people who remained were us and Aiza's family, and our cousins, aunts, and uncles, who were staying with us.

We left the decorations up and cleaned up the chairs and tables.

The grown ups sat together discussing who was gonna sleep at who's house while us, teens and college students sat on our phones. Maira, Arzoo, and I snapchatted each other.

"Shano, give out guests something to drink, I'm sure everyone is tired" Ama said as she handed me a plate with a couple of glasses of water and juice.

Maira and I played the role of waitresses and Arzoo played the role of a bartender. We scurried around and handed everyone either a glass of water or a glass of orange juice.

I stepped into the sitting room to see that all of my guy cousins were sitting and happily chatting with Yousef. I hate how it has been only a few hours and he's quickly fit in. I plaster my fake smile and chirp "Does anyone want some juice or water?"

Everyone took a glass except Yousef. I rolled my eyes and turn around to leave.

"Wait!" Yousef called out.

I turn around in annoyance.

"Umm Rooksayna could I get a soda?" He said with a smirk.

It was hard to keep my polite facade on. I could feel my fake smile slipping. "Actually its Rukhsana, and I doubt we have anymore left. There'll probably be some in the cooler in the garage but-"

"I'll help you get it then." He smiled as he got up from his seat.

I wanted to stab his eyeballs out.

"Here let me carry that for you." He said while he grabbed the empty plate in my hands.

I glared at him the whole way to the kitchen. When he turned around to put the plate on kitchen counter, I make a run for it. Hopefully he would turn around to see me gone and go back to stealing the hearts of my family with his "dazzling" charm.

I walk into the garage and close the door in order to not let AC go to waste. That was Aiza's dad's pet peeve.

I turned around to see Yousef was sitting in a chair sipping from the cold Pepsi in his hands.

I stared at him with my mouth hanging like an idiot.

"How did you..."

"This is my cousin's house, I know this place better than you ever will." He replied.

"Back to business though, what are you gonna do?" He asked.

I look at him questioningly even though I know exactly what he meant.

"Now that we're ... cousin in laws?"  He said.

For the first time this evening, I let my guard down.

"How am I supposed to tell you when I don't know myself."

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

*everyone is silent as Meesh steps onto the stage*

"Ahahaha, how is everyone... Hows it going?"

"GET OFF THE STAGE" said someone in the audience.

"I know you all are upset with me for not publishing earlier but-"

"LETS THROW TOMATOES AT HER" someone screamed.

I was too late, before I could scramble off the stage, hundreds of tomatoes were being thrown at me.

Ok but in all seriousness,

I AM SO SORRY.

I've had a lot of things going on.

I have a wedding to go to in a couple of weeks and school's starting soon 😅

I hope you guys liked the chapter :)

"Never again will I fall for your treacherous yet charming tricks."

-Meesh 🌸

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

________________________________

"Khushi Wala"- The Happy

Yaar- friend/mate

________________________________