Under Toxin

"Fear is only as deep as the mind allows..."

(Trigger warning?? That's what I say when things get violent right?)

Please listen to the song that I put up in the link. It will help the later scene coming up. This song is pretty close to Jonathan. I swear they wrote it just for him. :)

I look up from the paper I'm reading as newspaper is smacked on my desk. I look at it, Bruce and I are on the front cover. The main title reads, "New Girl same antics."

"Care to explain this," Jonathan asks anger in his voice.

I don't meet his eyes just yet. I didn't have a whole night to think this over. I just had the morning. It isn't like Bruce and I did anything last night. All we did was talk. If I didn't have to get up to go to this job I'm sure we would have stayed up until the morning. 

"I'm just glad you are letting me explain," I keep my voice void of all emotions.

"And your time is dwindling as you stall. We have somewhere to be. Unless you want out of the Falcone case."

"You know I want in," I look up to him. "Don't take that away from me because you are angry with me."

He smiles and turns his head away from me, "I don't get angry."

I get up and walk over to him, going to touch his face, he takes my hand before I can and puts it down to my side. "Don't touch me." I hate when he does this to me.

"Please," I whine a little. "It isn't what it looks like in the paper. He asked me to come to help him be social again. He doesn't have anyone else he could have gone with." That sounds logical doesn't it? I mean....

"He has others he could have gone with." Really? Last time I checked you don't know him like I do. Unless you are stalking him now.

"None that would make him feel at ease. It isn't like I wanted to go. I was doing something for him as a friend." I did want to go... didn't I? I mean the only reason I'm saying this now is because of the awful time I had... It didn't take Bruce much to convince me yesterday though... I guess this is all in hindsight.

"A friend."

I run my hand down my face in annoyance, "What the paper doesn't show or say is that I ran out of that place crying and locked myself in my room."

"Mr. Wayne wouldn't have left you upset. He must have came and saw you."

"Jonathan. That doesn't mean anything to me," I try to touch him again. He steps back. "Please."

"Admit to me that you are in love with him and I will let this go."

It can't be this simple. It will break his heart and it will break mine to tell him the truth. He will think I'm playing him. I can't just tell Jonathan now that I love him either. At this point he wouldn't believe me. Wow, I just admitted I loved Jonathan in my head. That's new.

"Fine. I love Bruce Wayne," I say with a shrug of defeat. "There are you happy you got what you wanted."

"I thought you would say it with conviction."

"Well beggars can't be choosers, Doctor Crane," I cross my arms.

"You aren't allowed to be cross with me about this darling," he turns to me and spits out his words.

Bruce was right. I can get anyone to show emotion. I just wish it wasn't this emotion.

"Doctor Crane. Carmine Falcone is in the building. Waiting for you both," a black woman says, poking her head in.