2. August 19th

It had been three weeks since Dumbledore replied to his letter, and now it is 19th August. Merlin was reading the Daily Prophet again.

BLACK STILL AT LARGE!

Sirius Black, possibly the most infamous prisoner ever to be held in Azkaban fortress, is still eluding capture, the Ministry of Magic confirmed today. "We are doing all we can to recapture Black," said The Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, this morning, "and we beg the magical community to remain calm." Fudge has been criticised by some members of the International Federation of Warlocks (Merlin snorted at this, for he is the only true Warlock left. But there are some truly powerful wand wielders though, Dumbledore being one of them) for informing the Muggle Prime Minister of the crisis. "Well, really, I had to, don't you know," said an irritable Fudge. "Black is mad. He's a danger to anyone who crosses him, magic or Muggle. I have the Prime Minister's assurance that he will not breathe a word of Black's true identity to anyone. And let's face it - who'd believe him if he did?"

While Muggles have been told that Black is carrying a gun (a kind of metal wand that Muggles use to kill each other), the magical community lives in fear of a massacre like that of twelve years ago, when Black murdered thirteen people with a single curse.

There was still no sign of Sirius Black. Well, he's an animagus, so unless they know what his form looks like, they aren't going to find him. Merlin, himself can change his form with an Old Magic spell, one he can now do without the incantation, and he can change into any animal he wants to. Merlin put the newspaper down on the coffee table, and stood up. He went into his spare room where he keeps his most valuable possessions (in the room next to it is a bed for Arthur in case he does return) and went to the wooden drawer, opened it and took out a wooden box with intricate designs of the Old Religion decorating it. He placed it on top of the drawer and opened it. Inside, is a white crystal, on a silver chain. The crystal glowed gold when the box was opened. It was a crystal from the Crystal Caves, that Merlin has enchanted so he can make himself younger. He uses the crystal every time he goes to Hogwarts. It's cloaked too, so no one can see it. But sadly, it doesn't mask all of his scars. He has to try to make sure that he keeps them hidden from others. Merlin looked at his watch, (a fantastic invention) and saw it was 11:30. He has two hours before he is expected to be at Hogwarts. Merlin placed the crystal around his neck, thought the age 13, and almost immediately, he could feel the transformation taking place. His twenty one year old body, began to shrink into that of a thirteen year old. It was always a strange process to go through, no matter how many times he has done it.

Once the transformation was complete, Merlin went over to the mirror to see if it worked. Merlin grimaced as he looked at himself. He was thin. Too thin. But Merlin seldom eats anymore. It's not like he can die anyway. His ears stick out more than when he's an adult, and his sharp cheekbones are very prominent. Merlin laughed bitterly to himself. No wonder Arthur doesn't love him. He wouldn't, if he was Arthur. Merlin sighed. Aithusa flew in then, and landed on his shoulder. She took one look at Merlin's appearance and scowled. "You seriously need to eat more, Merlin." She had a sad tone in her voice as she spoke. Merlin just looked away and began playing with ends of his sleeves. They had had this conversation hundreds of times before. "No. Don't even think that Merlin. Don't you dare think that." Aithusa narrowed her beautiful blue eyes at the Ancient Warlock. "Do you really think, Arthur would want you starving yourself?" Merlin didn't answer. Because, no. He wouldn't. Arthur would not want him starving himself. But Merlin is beyond caring. Arthur is dead. So Arthur will never know. "You will see him again Merlin. Of that I promise." Aithusa said, voice soft. Merlin turned his head back to the mirror and smiled sadly at her. It was clear he had lost hope. Merlin's eyes flashed brilliant gold, and the image of his thin stature, disappeared replaced by a healthy(ish) looking "boy". A simple concealment charm. Only those with extremely powerful magic would be able to see through it. And no one is that powerful. Dumbledore may see through it, but he's not entirely sure.