Numb

*Alex's P.O.V* 

Just as the lid snapped closed and I wiped my tears away Damon and Rebekah sped through the door. I furrowed my brows at their panic and asked, "What is it? What's happened?" They grabbed Nik's coffin and began to push it away while Damon said, "Alaric's here. We need to move Klaus, Now!"

If my dead heart could beat I swear it would have been racing. I ran after them and just as we reached the get away car I was thrown backwards along with Rebekah. I saw Damon run forward but he was kicked back by Alaric. We were all on the floor fighting to get back up but Alaric opened the coffin and pulled out a stake. A white oak stake. Almost as if it were slow motion he plunged it into Klaus's heart. 

I collapsed onto my knees in grief and I could hear Rebekah screaming but it was all just white noise. "No, no, no," I muttered. It felt as if my heart was splitting in two. I placed a hand on the ground trying to suck in a proper breath but everything was dizzy. I let out a sob and covered my mouth with my hand. 

I looked up to see Nik's body burst into flames and he had his eyes closed. Next thing I know Rebekah had sped off and Damon was thrown away by Alaric and the hunter sped away. My grief now consumed me. It was spreading throughout me like wild fire making me feel nothing but numbness.

Damon crawled his way over to me and held my face in his hands and shook me. I looked up at him and saw his mouth moving but heard nothing. "Alex! Hold on Alex, you have to stay strong you can't turn it off again." 

I shook my head and took a glance at his grey form. I did't even say goodbye properly. I should have said goodbye. I then sped off back to Mystic Falls. 

I arrived in the woods and collapsed against a tree. I looked out and saw that I was at the clearing where Klaus had performed the sacrifice. I was breaking apart and felt like crying but no tears came. I was left sitting there, staring off into the distance. I just listened to the wind. I heard the birds chirping and a normally cheerful sound made me want to rip my ears off. I heard a 2 pairs of footsteps coming towards me but I didn't bother looking up. I could sense that they were vampires. 

I felt them sit down next to me and took a brief glance either side and saw that it was Elijah and Rebekah. Seeing them only reminded me of him. I choked up and whispered, "He's gone and there was nothing I could do about it." I felt Rebekah's arm go around me and I leant my head on her shoulder. "I don't want to feel like this any more," I told them. 

Elijah put his hand on my knee and said, "He loved you. You deserve to know that." I felt myself welling up again and said, "What if he doesn't  remember what I said to him. The last memory he'll have of me is me being a complete bitch who didn't have emotions." 

I turned to look at Elijah and studied his face. His features and everyone of them reminded me of Klaus. I felt tears falling and I suddenly stood up and said, "I'm sorry but I can't be here. I have to leave." They stood up and Rebekah said, "No, you can't leave. We need to be with each other to get through this." 

I turned to face them and asked, "Don't you understand? You both remind me to much of him and it's ripping me apart!" I covered my eyes with my hand and after a moment I wiped my tears away and told them, "I'm going back to New Orleans. Please don't look for me." I took one last glance at them before speeding off. Not leaving them time to try and stop me.