Chapter 14

It was a long ride back to the apartment. I sat in the back next to Danny whilst Mark was driving and Glen was in the passenger seat. Everyone was silent, most likely still in shock at what had happened. I glanced over at Danny who was staring emotionless out of the window, his head resting against the glass. His hair that was usually in a perfectly styled quiff was now flat and wet, sticking to his forehead. I also noticed that he was shivering uncontrollably, even though he was trying hard to hide it. Glen and Mark had given him their jackets but even with the amount of layers he had on, he still didn't look any warmer.

"Stop looking at me," he suddenly mumbled. I wasn't sure how he knew I was looking at him but I brushed it off, turning away.

"Sorry," I replied.

We were quiet for a few more minutes before I turned my attention back on him.

"What happened?" I asked, softly. He stayed in the same position but focused his gaze on me, his eyes dull.

"I thought you were dead."

I stared at him. "W-why would you think that?" I stuttered.

"Luke told me."

I was confused. I had so many questions I wanted to ask Danny, but I decided not to throw all of them at him at once.

"Why were you talking to Luke? And why would he tell you that?"

Danny shrugged. "I was trying to find you. And Olivia told me you were staying at her's so I was walking over to see you but then I saw Luke..."

"I still don't understand why he told you I was dead."

He shrugged again. "Olivia said that he would do or say anything that meant I wouldn't see you again. He told me that you were found by the river...that you had jumped."

"Is...is that why you jumped?" I whispered.

He dropped his gaze to the floor and slowly nodded before looking back out of the window. Danny jumped because he thought I jumped? I stared at the back of the seat that was in front of me, trying to process what he had just said before he spoke again.

"I didn't mean any of it, you know," Danny said in a slightly pleading voice.

"What?"

"I didn't mean what I said to you," he repeated, biting his lip. He looked nervous. "I know it seemed like I did... I was angry, not like that's an excuse."

With everything that had just happened, I had completely forgotten the fight we had, even though his words have been flying around my head for days.

"So...you don't hate me?" Was all I could say. He took my hand in both his ice cold hands and pulled it onto his lap, tracing small circles with his thumb onto my palm.

"I could never hate you."
-
-
By the time we got back to the apartment it was late, and Danny had fallen asleep, still holding my hand. I carefully woke him up and lead him up to the apartment and into the bathroom.

"Sit," I ordered, pointing at the edge on the bath. He sat and watched me as I grabbed a towel and ran it under some hot water. I started dabbing it onto Danny's face, cleaning away some dirt that was on his cheek. He looked down.

"I'm so sorry Ariel," he mumbled. "I've been a massive idiot."

"It's ok Danny," I whispered.

He shook his head. "No, it's not. You didn't deserve any of what I said to you, especially as none of it was true. I love you...I really do.I should have listened to you instead of jumping to conclusions."

"But, why did you do it?"

He looked at me, his eyes brimming with tears. "I wanted to see you again. And I thought the only way I could was to..." He trailed off and looked down at his hands, sighing.

I shook my head, wanting to change the subject.

"So what are you going to do about Luke?" Danny asked.

I winced at Luke's name and shrugged. "No doubt I'll hear from him again soon," I said, rolling my eyes.

Danny took my hands in his again and looked up. "He's not going to break us again...I promise."

I gave him a small smile.

"By the way," he continued. "I may or may not have broken his nose."

"Danny!" I scolded, although I couldn't help but smile.

"He deserved it," Danny shrugged.

"He deserves a lot worse," I replied.

I then leaned down and kissed him, suddenly missing the feeling of his lips against mine. His lips tasted of the river water which wasn't the most satisfying taste but I pushed it aside, grateful that I was kissing him again. I knotted my fingers into his damp hair, slightly tugging on the ends causing him to deepen the kiss, but only for a second before pulling away and resting his forehead against mine.

"So...you forgive me?" He asked, his eyes filled with hope.

I smiled. "Of course."

-------
A/N: Omg I'm sorry for the crappy ending, it took me a while to find an ending I was slightly happy with, not that this is any good. And also I know I haven't updated in ages, I've been quite ill recently so I haven't been feeling well enough to write, I'm really sorry for making you wait so long for this chapter.

But anyways, the story is over *cries*. Like I said at the beginning, this was only supposed to be a short story. I actually planned this story to be only 10 chapters long but ohwell, I hope you enjoyed it none the less :)

Thankyou soo much for reading and let me know what you thought of the story ;)

~Charlotte xx
T.W: @C_White99