2

I yawned, leaning against the door and hoping that no one would decide to kick it open and send me flying across the hallway. I looked up and down the hallway, looking for the girl. After a couple minutes I noticed her down the hall, walking quickly towards me. I took my weight off the door and met her half way.

She stopped in front of me. "Uhm..." She bit her lip. I waited patiently. "Is there somewhere private where we can talk?"

I nodded and flicked my head, motioning for her to follow me.

A moment later we were in the band room, behind the white board.

"You're sure?"

I blew air through my nose and nodded.

"You go first."

I shrugged and started to climb the steel black ladder that was bolted and screwed to the wall.

At the top was the catwalk that hung 30 feet over the stage in the school's theater and turned around, waiting for her to follow. She emerged, stepping onto the catwalk catiously. I sat on the grated plate beneath me and waited for her. She sat across from me and fiddled with her hair subconsiously. I waited.

"I suppose I should tell you my name first," she started. "I'm Kayla Strakouski. I need your help."

I waited for her to continue. When she didn't I raised an eyebrow. She kept fiddling with her hair. Then she looked up at me.

"I'm afraid for my life."

My eyes widened slightly. Then I remembered a scrap of paper in my pocket. I took it out and patted my pockets for a pencil. I found one in the front and started writing.

Then why come to me?

I handed it to Kayla and she looked down at it before looking back at me to respond.

"It's medical," she said. "I've gone to the doctor. Several of them. They all say I'm fine. But it's something more. I know it is. I don't feel...right."

I took the paper back.

Again, why me?

"Because you're the only one I know of to go to," she answered. Her eyes were wide and I could tell she was scared.

I nodded. I'll help.