The Glory Daze

Beep! Beep! Beep!
My almost ancient alarm clock blared, shattering my peaceful slumber. I stretched and yawned before routinely silencing the beeping clock with a tired arm and rising to my feet. I could smell the warm aroma of food being cooked downstairs. Mmm, pancakes? Bacon? I'd love some bacon right now! I thought to myself as I entered my conjoined bathroom to shower and change. I wish every morning could be this good. After dropping my pajamas in my half-full hamper, I zipped down the wooden stairs and straight to the kitchen.

"Morning dad, morning mom. What's for breakfast?" I greeted cheerfully as I pulled out my seat, hearing the screechy whine of the chair against the linoleum. I already knew breakfast involved meat of some kind.

"Scrambled eggs, pancakes, and sausage. Go call Bryan down." My mother replied, fixing our plates. I sighed before getting up and padding to the steps.

"Bryan! Come eat!" I shouted from the bottom step. I returned to my spot, stomach growling for the food on the plate in front of me. I tried to sneak a tiny bite but my father scorned me.

"Sabrina, you know we can't eat until everyone's together at the table."

"Sorry." I reluctantly lowered the silver fork from my mouth. "Why does he always take so long to come down?" I complained, eyeing the golden stack of buttery pancakes.

"You know he's a busy guy now. Writing scripts and all for movies that didn't even come out yet. That must take time." Mother said, tapping her foot under the table. At last my little brother joined us.

"Sorry guys. I had to fix a few typos." He apologized. All I heard was- Pancake pancake sausage eggs eggs.

"Alright let's eat." Dad decreed after Bryan sat down next to me. As I took fork-fulls of breakfast, I watched as Bryan drowned his pancakes and sausage in syrup and bathed his eggs in ketchup. After wolfing down everything on my plate, I asked for seconds. I was the big eater in the family.

"No, we have to save some." Mother answered.

"For what? Lunch? Brunch is kind of redundant by now." I joked, watching her gather the rest of the empty plates.

"If you want, you can finish mine." Bryan offered, pushing in his chair. His plate was half full.

"Sure, thanks!" I took the plate and practically licked it clean. Once satisfied, I put my shoes on, grabbed my phone, and announced that I was continuing my search for the perfect place.

"Don't stay out too long. Be careful. Call us if you need anything." My mother lectured as she did every day prior.

"Relax, I know what I'm doing." I gave my parents a hug and stepped out the door. I hoped I could find something today. I was beginning to tire of waiting.

After about three hours of wandering from place to place, I stopped in front of a decent two-story apartment building. This seems nice. I hope it's not too expensive. It even has a back yard! I could put a pool there.

"You're looking at it too?" A voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah. Wait, you're from my biology class, aren't you?" I asked, turning to see the woman beside me.

"Yeah! You're Sabrina Fisher! I remember you. You look different." She commented.

"It's just the hair. Who...were you again? I have trouble remembering names." I awkwardly asked the raven black haired girl.

"Oh it's Whitney. Whitney Thomson. We didn't really talk much except for that one time we were paired up with the kid with the glasses." She recalled.

"So what are you doing here?" I questioned casually.

"Just looking for an affordable apartment that doesn't look like crap."

"Same. This is pretty much the only one I like. Too bad it's just out of my price range."

"Maybe we could share a room and pay rent together." Whitney suggested. I mentally listed pros and cons, then trusted my gut.

"Sure. It's big enough for us to split."

"Alright!"

With our conversation ending there, we approached the person at the desk and did our research on the place. It was perfect. Not too long after that, Whitney and I packed our belongings and moved in.