Stabilize

My hands grabbed the room's phone as well as they could, through unease and sweat. I shakily pressed each numbered button until hitting the green call button. Please answer the phone. PLEASE answer! I hollered in my mind as I heard the phone ring. By the fourth ring, someone picked up. Thank God! 

"Hello?" My brother's voice sleepily inquired. I hadn't realized just how late it really was.

"Bryan? Did I wake you?"

"No. No, I was working on a project. What- what do you need, Sabrina?"

"It's nothing too important." Yes it is! Why did I say that? "I was just, um-"

"Okay, cut to the problem."

"Problem?" I gasped, eyes opened wide. How did he know there was a problem?

"I know you only stutter when you have an issue. Tell me."

"Oh alright. My roommate was a total slob, among other things, and I kicked her out a few hours ago. Now I sorta have some trouble with rent. Don't tell mom or dad." I stiffened up in fear after I told him what went down. I was horrified that he'd say or do something, based on his seemingly prolonged silence. Finally he sighed.

"Don't worry, Sab. We got you." I exhaled in relief at his answer and bid him goodbye and goodnight, then hung up. I had a lot of cleaning to get done, but that would have to wait until tomorrow.

I awoke to the sound of something hitting my window, which wasn't too far from the ground.

"What is that?" I grumbled while stamping over to open it and scream at whoever was messing with me. The minute I poked my head out the opened window, I spotted Bryan standing below with a handful of pebbles he must've gathered from the garden out front. "Bryan? What are you doing here?" I asked, rubbing my eyes clean from sleep. He told me to unlock the front door. Before I could form any type of response, somebody knocked very quickly on said door.

"Oh, hi dad. Mom, Bryan, make yourselves at home." I invited the three waiting outside in my apartment room, completely forgetting about cleaning it first.

"You were right when you said Whit was a slob." Bryan commented as he looked around the room.

"Good grief! This place is disgusting!" My dad shook his head in disbelief. My mother covered her mouth, but her eyes said it all.

"Dad, it's not my fault. Whitney trashed this place."

"Where is she now?" He asked in an unhappy tone.

"I kicked her out last night. It was awful."

"Say no more. We gotta fix this place up. That or you're moving back in."

"Wait- did you say you'll help me clean?"

"Yeah. I'm not letting either of you live in this kind of environment. It's a total pig sty in here!"

"Thanks, guys." I said with a glint of joy in my eyes.

After several hours of hard work, we cleared out the room of any garbage or filth. All the surfaces gleamed and the furniture was almost like brand new. All the dishes and appliances were spotless.

"Thank you so much for helping me out. You're the best." I said as I pulled everyone into a gracious hug.

"It's the least we could do. Oh, and don't worry too much about rent. We got you covered on that the next few months."

"Really? How?"

"My latest script was bought. Some famous director is gonna use it. I got paid way more than I ever needed, so I thought, 'why not help a sister out'." Bryan revealed, almost making me tear up from gratitude.

"I can't thank you enough. I guess I can let you visit whenever you want, but that's barely a thing."

"Don't worry about it. Just do well in life and that will pay me back."

Over the next few days, I was left by myself to study my subjects before going to the local college. All my neighbors left; parties, visiting family elsewhere, and moved away for a while. At least I could focus in peace without hearing the music blasting from someone's radio or insanely loud laughter from across the hall.

"It's definitely dinner time." I said, slamming my geometry textbook closed. That's one other thing I loved about this apartment complex; it was close to everything- even the library. I left my room and walked to the kitchen. I was almost glad this place didn't have stairs, though I'd miss the exercise. It was all on the same level. I entered the kitchen and opened the fridge. "Ugh! Leave it to me to forget buying more food." I muttered in frustration, closing the fridge door. Since my family paid most of the rent, that saved me some cash to go out and buy other things. Fooooood. I headed to my bathroom, got dressed, grabbed my phone and my keys, and locked the door on my way out. I had a one track mind.

I arrived at a close by Wawa after a five minute walk. Once inside, I gathered a bunch of snacky foods and drinks. Afterwards, I paid and bolted home. Nothing scared me worse than being out after dark all alone. After practically flying through my door, I opened and prepared a box of pizza rolls and put some green grapes on the side- not the best combo, but it filled me up. Then it was time for bed.

I carelessly shoved the many books off my bed and curled up under the covers. Tomorrow was the day I had to pick one school to go to out of the three nearby. For now, I let sleep overcome me.